Wellness

This is Your Sign to Revisit the Reading Obsession You Had as a Child

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

If you are anything like me, you probably grew up being a kid who loves to read. Whether it be Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, or Hunger Games, everyone had their obsessions. To me, reading came naturally, and it was FUN —  until high school. High school me would laugh at reading being described as fun. Throughout high school, reading was not something done by choice, rather it was crammed down my throat in hours of homework assignments and preparation for AP exams. In this new chapter of my life, I decided to challenge this notion, and I invite you to do the same.

First of all, I know what you are all thinking. When do I have the time? Why would I read for fun when I already have hours of forced reading each week? And let me tell you, these were my thoughts exactly. No one wants to read more than they already have to. I had always told myself that the reason I no longer read was because I was too “burnt out” from academic reading to possibly ever pick up a book on my own. This is where I was wrong. At the beginning of the year, I made the decision to start reading for pleasure. I wanted to create a realistic goal so I told myself that I would at least read before bed, every night (I admit that the every night thing sounds scary, but I promise it’s worth it, stick with me). It has been a month now, and I have come to the following conclusions:

1. As crazy as it sounds, reading for fun has helped me solve academic “burn out.” I now feel that I can complete my reading for school faster than before and with way more focus. 

2. Recreational reading is a form of self care. The ability to nurture your mind outside of school is a necessity. And if that’s not convincing enough, I have found that reading is an instant stress reliever. When I become mesmerized with a book, a sense of calm comes over me, helping to melt whatever anxieties I faced throughout the day.  It is so important to find these moments of solitude everyday.

3. You will sleep better if you end your nights reading. Each time I have read before bed rather than on my phone, (I admit that I have skipped a few) I find that I wind down easier. I fall asleep faster and go to sleep feeling accomplished and content. It’s a great feeling.

4. You have the time to read! I guarantee that almost everyone reading this either starts or ends their day (or both, no shame) on their phone. Try to intentionally replace this time with even a small amount of reading. Trust me, your body and mind will thank you. 

Now that I have shared my experience with you, I hope that you too will once again become the avid reader you once were. Even if it is buried deep within you, your childhood mind that allowed you to binge read entire series is still there. Explore new genres! Maybe even re-read the books you read as a child with a new perspective. Or revel in the nostalgia. Create the time to truly take care of yourself and pick up a book today. I promise you, reading for fun is worth revisiting.

Anna Claire is a third year at UCSD, majoring in Political Science with an emphasis in American Politics. She loves to read, write, go on hikes and is passionate about social justice. After undergrad, she plans on attending law school. Her favorite places to be are the beach or in the desert surrounded by Joshua Trees and a starry sky.
Her Campus at UCSD aims to create a more open platform for women to share their ideas and passions with the rest of the college community. Our writers are students of all different majors who share the same passion for writing and media and are excited to bring more fun articles for the UCSD community and others to indulge in and enjoy.