York’s New Look

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

York Hall is well known at UCSD for its Science Lab facilities. These undergraduate labs just got a $6.5 million face-lift. Yes, you read that correctly six-point-five million dollars.It has been a long time coming. The renovations will add 12,000 square feet of space while updating the outdated facilities that were first built in 1966.

The new facilities were unveiled in a ribbon cutting ceremony about two weeks ago. The laboratories were dedicated by Suresh Subramani, Executive Vice Chancellor of Academic Affairs, Mark Thiemens, Dean of the Division of Physical Sciences, and Bill McGinnis, Dean of the Division of Biological Sciences. It is all part of UCSD’s new initiative to help students graduate within 4 years.

A lot of us science majors are familiar with the horrendous waitlists for science lab. It is first pass pick or not an option due to its demand.  These classes are required for our majors but for far too long they have been severely impacted. This is a step in the right direction to make sure students don’t get held back on their four year plans simply because they couldn’t get into a class. Chancellor Pradeep K. Khosla  stately directly that, “This high priority project is a prime example of how we are fulfilling our vision as a student-centered, research-focused, service-oriented public university. The completion of this renovation enables us to continue to provide our students with a world-class education and accelerate the path to graduation.”

Four labs in total are being renovated. The first two that have been finished are designated for Organic Chemistry and General Chemistry introduction labs that are a common major required course. They will allow 675 more enrollments per year. While the third will allow 645 more enrollments per year for a highly impacted lab: Biochemical Techniques. The last in the installments will unveil next year and hold 1,440 students per year.

So to all my science ladies – if you had been holding off on a lab because you hadn’t previously had an enrollment time early enough to get in, check again this coming quarter because there will be more spots!
Jasmine is currently a senior at the University of California, San Diego. She is pursuing a Bachelor of Arts degree in Psychology and a minor in Education Studies. Jasmine is the Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus UCSD, along with the amazing Taylor Zepeda. Jasmine spends most of her time volunteering at low socioeconomic status elementary schools across the San Diego county and grading papers for classes she is a Teacher's Assistant in. Novel wise, she is an avid fan of Edith Wharton and the Lord of the Rings series. She also loves comedic shows like New Girl and The Big Bang Theory, but also enjoys thrillers like Criminal Minds. One of Jasmine's favorite hobbies is trying foods of different cultures; she loves visiting cultural nights and community festivals. Above all, Jasmine worships Beyonce (a.k.a. Beysus, Queen Bee, Baeyonce, etc). Her future aspiration in life is to become the Secretary of Education and have the Hov and B over for dinners.