What are Microaggressions and Why They Are Harmful, From an Asian American Woman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

Microaggressions are subtle forms of racism against marginalized groups that are often  unintentional. Microaggressions tend to fly under the radar, compared to outright racism or physical violence. However, they are just as harmful. I personally have noticed many people are unaware of the various ways this form of racism presents itself, yet many who experience it are left with an unsettling feeling. 

This past year, Asian communities around the world have been at the forefront of racially based violence more than ever. The COVID-19 pandemic brought to light hidden anti-asian sentiments which resulted in various forms of microaggressions and violence against Asian Americans. Microaggressions are easily seen as innocent, however, for some, they can be harmful and triggering thus it is important to keep learning and evolving to better our society. For those who identify as members of the Asian communities, it is our job to continue the discussion and address these harmful stereotypes instead of laughing it off and keeping our heads down. 

Here are four examples of racially charged encounters I have repeatedly experienced as an Asian American woman and why I have perceived them as microaggressions: 

Porcelain Doll or Asian Doll 

I have found the term “porcelain doll”  or “Asian doll” to be a tricky microaggression which many believe is a compliment. I personally have gotten this comment numerous times and in an attempt to make others feel comfortable I laugh it off or say thank you, unconsciously attempting to diffuse the situation despite the comment leaving a bad taste in my mouth. In my opinion, the phrase immobilizes Asian women and forcefully defines them as a passive body objectified and fetishized for the pleasure of others. The reason why I have considered it a form of microaggression is because of the complicated history of Asian women being fetishized.

“Oh you’re Chinese? Konnichiwa” 

The amount of times someone has said Konnichiwa in response to me telling them I am Chinese is truly astounding. Though I don’t want to assume everyone is knowledgeable on how to say hello in every language, I believe this is one of those instances where it probably would be better to listen rather than speak on something you do not know. I believe this is problematic because it indicates that western civilization sees all Asian countries as the same, grouping us all together, lazily unwilling to learn that the Asian continent is vast with so many cultures and languages. Based on my experience, I see this as harmful because it indicates that these individuals see Asian languages as an exotic party trick as they tend to “word-vomit” any Asian fact they know, even if it is not the right language.

Ling Ling 

Being nicknamed, “Ling Ling” is not an appropriate way to address someone of Asian descent whom you have just met. I’m still not sure if this specific name is meant to be a compliment, but the very fact I have been called Ling Ling 5 different times by 5 different people speaks volumes to how Asian American women are perceived. Ling Ling is representation of how individuals see all Asian women as the same revealing generalizations and stereotyping. 

Where are you really from? 

This is a question I believe nearly every Asian American has experienced. The seemingly never ending questions of, “where are you from?” “No, where are you really from? Like originally?”  I used to find these questions welcoming, as if the other person is just trying to learn more about me. While in some cases these questions may be harmless, I have found they are a subtle form of xenophobia and instill a sense of “other, ” or not belonging. Especially as an Asian American woman I have found the question of where I really am from to be a conversation starter for those seeking exoticism connected to the fetishization of Asian women. In my opinion this is a form of microaggression because it indicates that we are all foreigners and therefore disregards the United States being our home. 

So how can we challenge these subtle forms of racism? 

One of the ways I have challenged these microaggressions is by directly asking them “why are you calling me Ling Ling,” or why are you saying hello to me in a different language or even assuming I speak another language other than English. By asking them to explain themselves, they are forced to contemplate what they are implying through their words. Another way to challenge these comments is by simply stating, “do not call me that,” or “why are you assuming that.” That being said, I know it’s a lot easier said than done and I have personally been slowly gaining the courage to challenge and address these subtle forms of racism. I hope this article resonates with members of the Pan-Asian community and that others have gained some insight as to why seemingly harmless comments can in fact be microaggressions.

Leigh Fahrion is a transnational Chinese adoptee who attends University of California, San Diego. She is a fourth-year transfer student who attended University of Oregon before transferring to UCSD where she currently is a Communication major and Ethnic Studies minor in pursuit of her Bachelors Degree. She is passionate about storytelling through creative mediums such as photography, film, art, music and food.
Her Campus at UCSD aims to create a more open platform for women to share their ideas and passions with the rest of the college community. Our writers are students of all different majors who share the same passion for writing and media and are excited to bring more fun articles for the UCSD community and others to indulge in and enjoy.