Devotional
Devotional
Shannon Kang
Wellness > Mental Health

Two Words I WAS Afraid of…Mental Health

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

“Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all anxieties on him, because he cares for you.” 1 Peter 5:6-7

There are many types of health related conditions within our human body. Physical health is important for everyday activities, emotional health is important for people to get through the stresses of everyday life, and many more. However, physical, emotional, even spiritual health starts with one, the most important, mental health. Going through life we think a lot, we tend to go through future plans, stresses of school, working life, family, etc. All of that can become a dense cloud that we cannot manage unless you have strong mental health.

sad girl in blue sweater near window
Anthony Tran
Depression is real. A lot of people may say that it is sadness or loneliness, but it is all of the above. No one can pinpoint exactly when someone gets depressed. I believe it is within us all, however, it is fortunate that some people do not experience it. I do not put any hatred on those who have not gone through depression, I would not want to wish that upon anyone. Honestly, I am jealous of those who have not gone through it. But, I will say even though it was (and is) one of the biggest struggles I have gone through in my life, I’m grateful for it because of who I have become out of it.

Transferring to a four year university was one of the most amazing things to have happened to me. But, I did not know it would strain me so much mentally. I thought I got over my depressive state back in high school, but this is when I learned that it never goes away, we have to learn to live with it. Growing up, I was never someone that craved social interaction, but let me tell you…FOMO is REAL. Since transferring I met up with people and was surrounded by social interaction. On the days where I would be in my dorm, not doing anything, I would open up Instagram and see other people hanging out with each other and I thought to myself…a lot. “Why wasn’t I invited? Do they not like hanging out with me? Do they not like me?” I would go deep into my mind and think of questions like this and dig myself a bigger hole to crawl in. It was never a good time when I would dwell on those kinds of thoughts.

Devotional
Shannon Kang
Thinking I am not good enough, that was one of my biggest struggles and a thought that I still have at times. However, I am working on ways to cope with those struggles. Rather than looking to the physical world for answers, I have been focusing on my spiritual health. As a Christian, the Bible and prayer should be an essential part in my life, but I will admit it was not for the longest time. However, I realized how important it is to have that quiet alone time with the Bible and a time to pray during the day. You let go of the struggles in your life and you lift it all up to God. He is the one that can relieve us of that stress and sadness.

At the end of the day, people who have depression and/or anxiety will continue to live with it and fight against it. However, it is our choice to let it go. We do not need to live a life where depression controls everything in our lives. Instead, we can say, “yes I have depression, yes I have anxiety, but I will continue to fight and not let it control me!” For me, I am able to say that because I know God is always on my side. This world we live in does not control who I am. All I NEED to rely on and all I WANT to rely on is God. He saved me from so much. And I can say that it is not a difficult battle because He fights for me.

I want to end with a word of encouragement…DO NOT let depression, anxiety, or anything control you. Be proud of who you are and the things that you went through. DO NOT let emotional (or even physical) scars dictate who you are. You are the one that gets to say who you are, no one and NOTHING else. 

Born and raised in the Bay Area, Shannon Kang is a California native. She is finished community college back in her hometown and is now enrolled at University of California, San Diego to pursue her Bachelor's Degree in Communications. After undergrad she is planning on furthering her education to pursue an MBA in management and operations. When it comes to tasks and her interests she is determined and persistent, she will not stop till she gets what she wants. Her interests include, music (KPOP stan), food (total foodie), Asian culture, fashion, skin care, and literature.
Her Campus at UCSD aims to create a more open platform for women to share their ideas and passions with the rest of the college community. Our writers are students of all different majors who share the same passion for writing and media and are excited to bring more fun articles for the UCSD community and others to indulge in and enjoy.