Trashing Negative Body Image

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

A prominent thought in most all collegiate girls’ minds is body image. They are constantly feeling the pressure to fit into that smaller size and question why they don’t look like the images in the magazines. The stress of classes and not the healthiest dining hall food and Goody’s burritos are persistent reminders of the Freshman 15. Fortunately, women on the UCSD campus recognize these issues and have found ways to combat the problem. 

The Gamma Lambda Chapter of Delta Delta Delta at UC San Diego showcases the national Tri Delta program of 3D Body Image. This is a multi-dimensional approach to body image awareness as well as education. This initiative promotes a more whole, detailed body image by focusing on three main sections: mind, body and spirit. 

November 2nd and 3rd, the Gamma Lambda Chapter will be hosting Fat Talk Free Week on Library Walk. This event aims at eliminating Fat Talk. Fat Talk is defined as not being overweight or your size. It is any disparaging remarks about yourself or others’ bodies. 

Fat Talk is tremendously eliciting of unhealthy behaviors, whether the comments are conscious or not. Putting yourself down verbally causes negativity in all aspects of life. Fat Talk will motivate you to overeat, skip workouts, and stay involved in toxic relationships. Even if you don’t ‘hear’ your own Fat Talk, your friends and family members will, and it harms them emotionally, spiritually, and physically as well. As Jillian Michaels said, “Fat talk is transcending…. It affects your reality and damages you professionally, personally, and physically.”

How can we begin to stop Fat Talking? Correct yourself if you Fat Talk. Replace those thoughts with positivity and don’t get in the habit of comparing your body to others. Celebrate your body for what it can do. 

UCSD also has many campus resources to help girls that are struggling with body image. The first is CAPS. They can assist in locating the source of negative thoughts and creating ways to decrease the negativity in her life. UCSD Fit Life has a host of resources, whether it is healthy eating habits or establishing an exercise routine that works best for you. 

We live in a society where women have access to so many opportunities for education, empowerment, leadership and success. Yet women of all ages can feel pressured to achieve a certain standard of female beauty in the pursuit of happiness. With the tools utilized by Tri Delta in their 3D Body Image Program and Fat Talk Free Week Campaign, CAPS, and UCSD Fit Life, collegiate women at UCSD can eliminate negative body image and lead healthier life styles. 

Third Year at UC San Diego at Marshall College. Proud member of Panhellenic with ambitions to go to law school and become a Supreme Court Justice.