samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Style Faux Paus Every Collegiate Knows Too Well

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.
Let’s be honest, around this time of the quarter, we’ve all given up appearance-wise. We see friends and other students finishing up the year while we are stuck in midterm season, rapidly approaching finals week and there is a whole month preventing us from celebrating the summer season. Who has the time to put on floral sundresses, get a pedicure for summer sandals or bother with beachy waves in the morning when you have multiple projects, exams, essays and readings to do? Read on to find out the common ties that bring us together in these last, very “au natural,” couple of weeks. 

1. Waking up in the morning is hard enough, but when that mascara from last night’s late study session has formulated a lovely crust, it is a literal challenge to open your eyes.

2. Realizing your eyes have dark circles that a magic marker couldn’t fix. 

3. Is that blush you’re wearing? Wait…no, that’s just the pink highlighter you accidentally fell asleep on while reading for your literature class.
4. Finding out that the pizza you had for dinner, probably breakfast, and is very well likely going to be your lunch, has left a subtle red hint to your lips. But at least you don’t have to bother with lipstick in the morning. 

5. Wearing that pair of yoga pants so often that even you begin questioning your sanity.

6. Let’s be honest, do we even wear real pants at this point?

7. Letting it finally hit you that your sweatshirt was what you wore to bed last night, to class the next day, then back to bed.

8. Having to Febreeze your clothes because no one has the time to do laundry anymore.

9. Coming to terms that you haven’t taken off slippers since Week 5. 

10. Realizing that you actually don’t care what you look like because you just aced that paper you spent countless nights doing and knowing that looking like potato in sweats all week was worth it.

Let’s face it, we’ve all been here before. But all of it won’t matter when we find out that we got that A on the essay or killed that midterm. So until the summer arrives and we can once again look like functioning human beings, embrace your natural beauty and your questionable fashion choices. 

Jasmine is currently a senior at the University of California, San Diego. She is pursuing a Bachelor of Arts degree in Psychology and a minor in Education Studies. Jasmine is the Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus UCSD, along with the amazing Taylor Zepeda. Jasmine spends most of her time volunteering at low socioeconomic status elementary schools across the San Diego county and grading papers for classes she is a Teacher's Assistant in. Novel wise, she is an avid fan of Edith Wharton and the Lord of the Rings series. She also loves comedic shows like New Girl and The Big Bang Theory, but also enjoys thrillers like Criminal Minds. One of Jasmine's favorite hobbies is trying foods of different cultures; she loves visiting cultural nights and community festivals. Above all, Jasmine worships Beyonce (a.k.a. Beysus, Queen Bee, Baeyonce, etc). Her future aspiration in life is to become the Secretary of Education and have the Hov and B over for dinners.