This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

January has proven to be a challenging start to the year for me. It was especially hard for me this quarter to move back to San Diego and start new classes. Here is my list of small things that got me through the month. 

A consistent skincare routine.

One of the smallest ways to improve my day is to know exactly what skincare products I will be doing. I now know that for me simple is best. Using an oil based cleanser, followed by a water based cleanser has helped my skin improve significantly. My other holy grail is the Laneige lip sleeping mask which I use both in the morning and at night to ensure that my lips will stay hydrated even in cold winter months.

Watching youtube to unwind.

I have fallen back into the habit of watching youtube videos when I need a break from homework or after I get home from school after a long day. My current favorites are Lani Ozark, who makes content on fashion and thrifting, and Shanspeare who creates video essays on anything from the fall of twitter to critiquing the idea of being “basic.” I highly recommend finding your own comfort channels that you can return to when you need an escape. 

Going on walks.

One of the most difficult things for me, especially during midterm season, is finding time to get outdoors. The easiest way that I have gotten more sun is walking home from the bus stop. Rather than taking a second bus, I opt for a twenty minute walk back to my apartment. Choosing a walk over your car or other public transportation can boost your mood and get much needed exercise even on your busiest days.

Finding small moments of spontaneity. 

It is really easy to get wrapped up in a scheduled routine to the point where you feel bad when your plans don’t work out the way you wanted. One way that I have learned to combat this feeling is to find a new change of scenery and break away from my normal routine when possible. For me, this meant agreeing on a whim to study at a coffee shop with my friend rather than the library or going to get dessert after mock trial practice. Life feels more exciting and rejuvenating when you make these small changes to differentiate your days.

February is a fresh start and a perfect opportunity to find your favorites that will lead you to have a better month. Find joy in the little things that will allow you to take time for yourself.

Anna Claire is a third year at UCSD, majoring in Political Science with an emphasis in American Politics. She loves to read, write, go on hikes and is passionate about social justice. After undergrad, she plans on attending law school. Her favorite places to be are the beach or in the desert surrounded by Joshua Trees and a starry sky.