A Collegiette’s Guide to Health and Happiness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.
We all know that college is synonymous to stress. Between classes, extra-curricular activities, sports, jobs and a social life, balancing it all is a nearly impossible feat, yet somehow we have to make it work. As students, we are all accustomed to this hectic lifestyle, but there’s no point in maintaining an over-whelming schedule if we don’t take care of ourselves first. You may be doing things you love, but when you’re out of energy and sleep-deprived, that can slowly start to change. Here are some small tips you can implement into your everyday routine that will help you keep up with the pressure college brings.

Go Outside More.

Being trapped in classes all day, we are sometimes unaware that we live in one of the most beautiful places in California-take advantage of that! I know it’s a hassle to leave the comfy bed and haul yourself outside the suite, but instead of being cooped up inside the library or dorm, bring your books to Glider Port or hit La Jolla Shores to go for a quick run or walk. It’s almost guaranteed that the sand, sun and waves will boost your energy and help you relax after a long day at school.
Exercise and Endorphins

Like most people, including myself, the mere thought of going to the gym makes you cringe. But exercise is such an essential part of de-stressing and is proven to raise your endorphin levels, making you healthier and happier! Instead of dragging yourself down to Rimac and hating every minute you spend on that treadmill, try some yoga, take a hike down to Potato Chip or go ice skating at UTC. While these are still “workouts,” they’re less strenuous on your joints and muscles, and you can still get all the benefits of cardio and strength training.
Become a Morning Person

8 AMs are the bane of every student’s existence, but getting up even ten minutes earlier can make you feel so much more productive and prepares you to take on the day. Instead of scrambling out the door to get to class, take advantage of the morning to make a list of what you need to do for that day, clean your room or make some breakfast. It’ll rev up your energy and despite what you may think, it can make you feel more awake than sleeping in until noon.
Do Something for Someone Else

We already have so little time for ourselves, but when you take just a few seconds for someone else, not only does the other person feel grateful, but you’ll feel happier knowing that you were able to help. So swipe for the person behind you in the dining hall, thank the housekeeper or even call your mom, and chances are, you’ll feel better afterwards. 

Write 3 Things Down that You’re Grateful For

Because our schedules are so busy, we can often drown in papers, readings and responsibility. But taking five minutes to just write down and reflect on what made you happy that day can help you remember the good, rather than the bad.

Surround Yourself with Positive People

When you’re living on-campus and constantly around other people, make sure to surround yourself with optimism! It’s proven that healthy relationships directly correlate to your own health, so hang out or study with people that you know make you happy! 
Hopefully these tips help you form a healthy and happy lifestyle regardless of how busy everything else is!
Jasmine is currently a senior at the University of California, San Diego. She is pursuing a Bachelor of Arts degree in Psychology and a minor in Education Studies. Jasmine is the Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus UCSD, along with the amazing Taylor Zepeda. Jasmine spends most of her time volunteering at low socioeconomic status elementary schools across the San Diego county and grading papers for classes she is a Teacher's Assistant in. Novel wise, she is an avid fan of Edith Wharton and the Lord of the Rings series. She also loves comedic shows like New Girl and The Big Bang Theory, but also enjoys thrillers like Criminal Minds. One of Jasmine's favorite hobbies is trying foods of different cultures; she loves visiting cultural nights and community festivals. Above all, Jasmine worships Beyonce (a.k.a. Beysus, Queen Bee, Baeyonce, etc). Her future aspiration in life is to become the Secretary of Education and have the Hov and B over for dinners.