Life > Experiences

A Look At The Disney College Program

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

We’ve all dreamed of an extended stay at the happiest place on earth, but what if there was a way to make that dream a reality? 

If you’re looking for an internship with a magical curriculum, culture, and overall experience, then the Disney College Program might be for you! 

The Disney College Program is a five to seven month internship, in which students are paid to work at The Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando or at the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim. The program allows students to earn college credit through a combination of on-the-job experiences, shadowing, and seminars. 

The program is divided into three thematic components: living, learning, and earning. Here is a look at what each consists of:

Living 

Student interns are given the option to live on or off site. Participants at Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando are offered housing on Disney property – at the Flamingo Crossings Village. On site housing allows students to connect with other interns from across the country. Living on site also comes with additional perks, such as entry to the park when interns are not working. 

Learning 

While participating in the Disney College Program, students will be given the opportunity to attend two-hour classes that cover a wide variety of topics. The seminars focus on Disney history and business operations, such as marketing, costuming, event operations, and hospitality. Students can also continue to take online courses through their college, in order to stay on track with their degree program. 

Earning  

You’ll be considered for one of the following roles during your program: operations, entertainment, lodging, food & beverage, retail/sales, and recreation. Students are given paychecks once a week. The earnings are expected to cover the cost of tuition and residence. 

Many who have been part of the program go on to say that the Disney College Program is one of the best experiences. Not only does it help facilitate student interns with professional development, ultimately opening the possibility for future career opportunities with the company, but it’s also extremely rewarding. 

To learn about the application process and more, visit the website: https://jobs.disneycareers.com/job/lake-buena-vista/disney-college-program/391/19731456?cid=21146&gclid=Cj0KCQjwiNSLBhCPARIsAKNS4_fIS47LC26Xl2EO2bsWZqSfMVrSCzFgHw6OJUNAFtM3E4rJCacYiGQaAs2PEALw_wcB

Laylani Cedano is a first year transfer student at the University of California San Diego. She is currently a Communication major and plans to pursue a career as a talent manager in the entertainment industry. During her free time she enjoys roller-skating, thrifting, and hanging out with friends. Some of her interests include music, film, and anything pop culture!