Style > Beauty

A Few Clean Beauty Brands I Adore 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

Clean beauty has become extremely popular in recent times, by using cleaner ingredients that are better for your skin and better for the environment. Many brands have started creating products with this concept in mind, thus pushing out more clean beauty products for our makeup lovers. There are many brands out there with the goal of creating cleaner beauty products, these are very few of the many, and I cannot wait to try out more!

Tower 28

Tower 28 was founded by Amy Lui, whose goal was to create “accessible, irritant-free, high-performance, fun products designed for all skin types.” 

Tower 28 currently has a line of makeup products including a tinted SPF, concealer, blush, bronzer, contour, mascara, highlighter, and tons of lippies!

Starting strong, the first product I’ve ever tried by Tower 28 was their BeachPlease Cream Blush in the shade “Office Hours.” This blush is creamy and blendable, definitely a go in my makeup bag, especially for my lighter makeup days. The next product I tried was their Shine On Lip Jelly in the shade “Sesame.” This is a very hydrating gloss that I didn’t find sticky whatsoever, I think it’s a beautiful color as well. Another product I’ve tried is their Sculptino Cream Contour in the shade “Getty.” I will say, it is on the warmer side, and I actually use it as a bronzer, but it has become an absolute staple in my “no-makeup” makeup look. It’s creamy, blendable, and very buildable too! Finally, my most recent obsession by Tower 28, their Swipe Serum Concealer in the shade “8.0 LBC.” Like many I was influenced by many amazing reviews that I saw on Tiktok, and it has been one of my favorite makeup products since I bought it. It’s light and creamy, and genuinely feels like nothing on my skin. It is my HOLY GRAIL concealer. It is truly a “my skin but better” product. I cannot rave about it enough, an absolute staple of mine for months, and will continue being so as we move into the warmer months. 

Moving to another pretty popular clean beauty brand,

Merit Beauty

Merit Beauty, founded by Katherine Power, is focused on “creating products that are safe for the body, skin, and planet.”

Merit Beauty, despite being a newer brand, has taken the makeup world by storm. It has become an essential for the “no-makeup” makeup girlies. I haven’t tried many of their products, but I can’t wait to continue exploring their brand!

The first product I tried ended up hooking me on their brand. The Flush Balm blush in the shade “Après” is one of my favorite berry shade blushes. Not only is it in adorable packaging, but it is also blendable and buildable if you’re looking for more pigment. Occasionally this blush will cling to my dry patches but is one of my favorites in the spring and summertime. It’s the perfect shade for that cherry blush look. After enjoying Merit’s blush, I decided to try out their Perfecting Complexion Stick, The Minimalist, in the shade “Bisque.” This is a product that I reach for on occasions when I’m looking for that light makeup look. It helps cover some darker spots on my face, and my dark under eyes, however, it does not look cakey or patchy on my skin. Finally, the most recent Merit product I’ve tried is their Shade Slick Tinted Lip Oil in “Sangria.” This is currently my top “going-out” lip product. It feels extremely hydrating and such a beautiful shade. 

The next clean beauty brand I will be discussing is,

Saie Beauty

Saie Beauty was founded by Laney Crowell, a beauty brand built on the idea of “feeling good and doing good.” 

Saie Beauty is a brand that I would absolutely love to try more products from, just because I’ve had such a great experience with all of the products I’ve tried so far, even if it is a limited amount. Starting with one of my top three base products, Saie’s Glowy Super Gel in both “Starglow” and “Sunglow.” I have to say, I bought the mini versions unsure of what I was getting myself into. I ended up using both of them until I was out, meaning I had to get another, but I opted for the full-sized version of  “Starglow.” This is not saying that it’s better than “Sunglow” I just found myself reaching for it more often. “Sunglow” is the perfect shade for my bronzed, sun-kissed, glowy summer makeup look. However, “Starglow” is my everyday glowy base product. It is so lightweight and melts into my skin, I absolutely love it. I also love to use it on my collarbones for a completely glowy look. The only other product by Saie that I’ve tried is their Dew Blush in the shade “Chilly.” This is a very buildable blush that I love for days when I just want a little more color in my face. It’s been a winter go-to for that reason, I find it to have a dewy but natural finish that I love. I’m hoping to try out their Glowy Super Skin foundation and Hydrabeam concealer sometime in the future. Saie has a promising future in my makeup bag!

A special little shout out to my number one mascara by Ilia Beauty, the Limitless Lash Mascara in “Midnight.” A gorgeous, lengthening, voluminous mascara that I use every day. If that mascara has a hundred fans, I am one of them, if it has ten, I am one of them, and if it has one, it is me. 

There are many clean beauty brands out there to explore. These are just a few that I have tried and honestly fell in love with. Many brands are making it their mission to be better for the skin and planet by using cleaner ingredients. I can’t wait to continue exploring this specific side of beauty and all it has to offer!

(all products were purchased with my own money)

I'm a communication major with a minor in marketing. I absolutely love skincare, makeup, and all things beauty related