5 Easy Exercises to Get Your Healthy and Hot Summer Body!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

One of the perks of attending UCSD is absolutely the weather! The standard weather ranges from around 65 degrees to 78 degrees Fahrenheit, allowing us to forget that humidity and hail exists in the more unfortunate areas of the country. Ah, the privileges of being a Triton. However, now that the rest of the world is catching up with San Diego’s perfect weather, there are constant reminders that summer is creeping up on us. Instagram posts, twitter tweets, and Facebook albums are blowing up with pictures of gym rats, beach bonfires, and summer festivals. If you are like me, you spent all of winter quarter hibernating and storing copious amounts of junk food and sweatpants. It’s time to get fit and healthy because summer is approaching! Here are 5 exercises that are sure to help you get toned in time for bikini season.

1. Stretching is for winners. Remember those stretches your P.E. teacher forced you to do in high school? Now is the time to put them to use. Stretch your quadriceps, gluteus maximus, triceps, and neck to prevent muscle injury. Stretching will warm up and lengthen your muscles while providing flexibility, coordination, and better posture. It is also important to stretch after a hard work out session because it will help your muscles recover from tearing and fatigue. 
2. Abs like Miley will make you smiley! Whether you are are in love with the “Wrecking Ball” singer or not, you have to admit that her abs are out of this world. To get her toned abs, try holding a V pose with your body. Lay down on your back, lift your legs to a 90 degree angle, and put your arms straight above your head. Then, lift your back and legs until you form a 90 degree angle. Tighten your abs as you form the V shape. Hold this form for as long as you can. Repeat the process to your liking. You are on your way to rocking those cute little crop tops!

3. Beyonce bod. If you are anything like me, you admire Queen Bey’s body. Her toned legs, tight core, and most importantly, her bodacious bottom seem to exist in a population whose diets consist only of salads. We’re not about that, and contrary to popular belief, to get Beyonce’s hot body, all you need to do are some fat-burning squats! Doing squats tightens the core, strengthens your legs, and lifts your butt. What are you waiting for? Go ahead and do some squats while listening to “Flawless” because girl, you are flawless.  
4. Cardio Time! If you have the convenience of a gym, hop onto a treadmill or an elliptical for a lean figure. If you are working without any fancy equipment, throw on your running shoes, play your favorite dancing music, and jog around your park or neighborhood. Doing cardio increases your heart rate and blood circulation, which not only allows you to shed pounds, but also opens your pores and allows you to have healthier skin. Cardio is one of the most effective ways to burn calories and will help tone your entire body. 
 5. Dancercise! If the steps above are a bit too boring for you, grab a friend and create a night club in your room! Turn on your favorite high-energy songs and dance around for thirty minutes. It’s been proven found you can lose over 200 calories from dancing to dirty beats and laughing with your friends. Exercise doesn’t have to feel like a chore! It can be exciting and a way to bond with your roommates.
Good luck, collegiettes, and we’ll see you on the beach! 

Jasmine is currently a senior at the University of California, San Diego. She is pursuing a Bachelor of Arts degree in Psychology and a minor in Education Studies. Jasmine is the Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus UCSD, along with the amazing Taylor Zepeda. Jasmine spends most of her time volunteering at low socioeconomic status elementary schools across the San Diego county and grading papers for classes she is a Teacher's Assistant in. Novel wise, she is an avid fan of Edith Wharton and the Lord of the Rings series. She also loves comedic shows like New Girl and The Big Bang Theory, but also enjoys thrillers like Criminal Minds. One of Jasmine's favorite hobbies is trying foods of different cultures; she loves visiting cultural nights and community festivals. Above all, Jasmine worships Beyonce (a.k.a. Beysus, Queen Bee, Baeyonce, etc). Her future aspiration in life is to become the Secretary of Education and have the Hov and B over for dinners.