Career

Women CEOs That Are the Ultimate #GirlBosses

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

In the world of Fortune 500 corporations and big time business, I’m sad to report that only five percent of CEOs are women. Female business leaders are the women paving the path for the rest of us, and it’s important for us to know who these powerhouse women are. These women who are running some of the largest companies in the world can be an inspiration to us all.

1. Mary Barra

General Motors

Mary Barra has been the CEO of General Motors since January 15th, 2014, and she is the first female CEO of a major automaker. Talk about an ultimate GirlBoss! The auto industry is extremely male dominated, and to be a female at the top of one of the largest automakers is amazing. Women like Mary are showing us that it is possible to do absolutely anything, regardless of gender. A girl can play with the boys, and in fact she can run the whole game. You go girl! 

2. Indra Nooyi

Pepsi Co.

Indra Nooyi is an Indian American woman who was born in the South Indian city of Chennai. As the leader of the global company for over a decade, she worked to create healthy food and drink options for Pepsi Co. Nooyi is a true example of the American Dream regardless of gender or race. She has been consistently ranked as one of the most powerful women in the world, showing us that a woman of color can and will be the boss! 

3. Anne Wojcicki

23andMe

Anne Wojcicki is more than just a CEO; she is an entrepreneur and and co-founder of the personal genomics company 23andMe. Along with being a top female CEO, worth nearly $700 million, she is also the backbone to the operation; she helped create and build the company from the ground up. 23andMe has changed the game for DNA testing, and it’s empowering that a woman is at the forefront of it. 

4. Michelle Gass

Kohl’s

Michelle Gass is the CEO of the Kohl’s Corporations, which runs the Kohl’s chain department stores. Fortune Magazine named her one of the most powerful women of business. She has been the CEO of Kohl’s since May 2018, but before that she worked as the Chief Merchandising and Customer Officer responsible for buying and merchandising all of our favorite clothes at Kohl’s. Michelle is a powerful business woman in the fashion industry and an ultimate GirlBoss.

5. Michele Buck

Hershey

Michele Buck is the first woman CEO of the Hershey Company! She became the CEO in March 2017 and has been running the world of Hershey ever since. Michele likes to call herself a “Chief Energy Officer” rather than the true meaning of CEO, “Chief Executive Officer.” She uses the word “energy” because she believes her job is to inspire and harness the energy of the Hershey employees to accomplish their ultimate goals. To see a woman at the top of one of the largest food manufacturing companies in America is just another great example to us college women heading out into the business world that women can and will do it all!

These women are just a few of the amazing examples of powerful women in business, and this is just a quick snapshot of their careers. Each of these women have worked extremely hard to get to the position they are at now and haven’t let anything get in their way. They are the ultimate GirlBosses showing us that women truly do run the world. The future is female and we are the future! 

woman wearing red high heels with white socks that say girls rule
Pexels / CoWomen

Elizabeth is a fourth year Communication major at the University of California, Santa Barbara. She grew up in a loud Italian family, and is the youngest of 5 siblings. Elizabeth is from a small mountain town in So-Cal called Big Bear Lake. Some of her favorite things are shopping, makeup, and watching The Office continuously. She is the Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for the UCSB HerCampus chapter. Elizabeth aspires to one day own her own business. Follow her journey on Instagram @elizabeth_filia