Why There Should Be More Shows Like Jane the Virgin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Not only does Jane the Virgin have tasteful approaches to difficult topics such as virginity, religion, and immigration, but it also immerses audience members in the experiences of a Venezuelan-American family. Despite the whimsical drama surrounding the plot in this telenovela inspired comedy, the level of relatedness to characters of various familial origins is important to see in the media. Not to mention, a Latino majority cast deserves applause!

Image via Netflix

It is important to recognize that the perspective of ‘Abuela,’ a Venezuelan immigrant, is very different from that of her granddaughter Jane, a second generation American. Jane Villanueva considers her culture to be both Venezuelan and American. Abuela’s cultural views, however, are a lot less blended. Abuela may sprinkle a couple American slang-words throughout the show, but nonetheless, she is strongly tied to her Venezuelan recipes, dedication to God, and of course, telenovelas.

Image via Giphy

The whole Villanueva family dynamic sparks humor and familiarity despite the ridiculous circumstances of the show. Audience members quickly fall in love with the Villanueva women, and sympathize and/or relate to the intersectional adversities with which they are faced. 

The star actress, Gina Rodriguez, has been criticized for “not being Latina enough.” These people have obviously not been paying attention because as any show based in Miami would prove, being “Latina” could practically mean anything in terms of ancestry, skin color, and language. I myself am a white Latina, and as a child I felt I had to become perfectly fluent in Spanish to compensate for my skin color, which is ridiculous. As Gina eloquently puts in many of her interviews, being Latina includes all cultures: Dominicans, Puerto Ricans, Cubans, Mexicans, Venezuelans, Americans, etc. In 2015, she told Huffington post that she herself has a sister who appears to be Caucasian.

Image via Giphy

Jane the Virgin satirizes and embodies the telenovela genre by presenting a smart, creative, cultural fusion in American television. Since I grew up in the US watching NASCAR with my Mexican father instead of unforgettable telenovelas broadcastings in other homes (Amor Real people), Jane the Virgin allowed me to understand the genre despite being an American show, in English, with American humor.

After following the Villanueva family, viewers have a new perspective that includes the fear of deportation, struggle with personal identity, and balancing multiple cultures. At the end of the day, the characters face universal challenges that result in the family getting closer and withstanding it all, racial problems or not.

As a Biology major pursuing a Writing Minor, HerCampus ensures that writing remains a part of my everyday life. Food, sustainability, science, feminism... my articles reflect my passions and allow me to communicate with readers about student life and the beautiful UC Santa Barbara community.
Hi, Collegiettes! I'm Carmen, a Communication major at University of California, Santa Barbara and one of two Campus Correspondents for UCSB. I would love to one day work in either fashion, food, tech, financial services or philanthropy. My dream is to find a job that somehow combines several of those elements. Until I get there, I'll be munching on copious amounts of Trader Joe's dried mango, jamming out to my man, Frank Sinatra, and focusing on creating intriguing content! If you like my writing, talk to me. ;)