Why Morning Classes Are The Better Choice

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

We all know that dreadful feeling of waking up to an alarm ringing all throughout our bedroom, beckoning us to wake up and get the day started. It is that very reason that us college students absolutely dread having to register for early morning courses that can ultimately limit our sleeping time and cause us to get our days started in a grumpy mood. Yes, I’m talking to those who REALLY love their sleep. But believe it or not, despite the pain of waking up to your alarm clock every day, morning classes are by far the more superior and preferable route when it comes to choosing your classes and setting up your official quarter schedule and here’s three reasons why:

1. You’re done early

Image via Gifer.com

Perhaps the best reason of all is the fact that once your classes are over you’ll have all day to do whatever you want. Nap time? Yes please! Grab some lunch with your friends and spend time at the beach? Why not! Go to the gym? Just maybe! The possibilities are truly endless, not to mention that you’ll be able to fully enjoy your day without being stuck in a lecture hall all day or evening and maybe even decide to be productive and finish those readings that you know you haven’t done yet.

2. A semi empty campus

Image via Giphy.com 

Let’s face it, having to deal with the crowded bike lanes and large groups of students roaming around campus is probably not how we want to start our day. Not to mention the lines for dining options are so long during the afternoon that while you’re waiting, you’ll most likely lose your patience… and your appetite. Because campus is much emptier during the morning, you won’t have to elbow students while you rush to class, wait in those long Starbucks lines for a cup of coffee and maybe, just maybe, you’ll get to experience some peace and quiet in your favorite campus spots.

3. People who wake up early are more likely to be successful

Image via Giphy.com 

Did you know that according to a recent survey by Sleep Junkie, both job satisfaction and salaries were higher for people who woke up earlier! People such as Oprah Winfrey, Michelle Obama, Elon Musk and countless of other CEO’s from well known companies we know are early birds! In the words of the great Benjamin Franklin, “Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise.”

Saira is currently a fourth-year student at the University of California, Santa Barbara where she is studying Sociology and pursuing a professional certificate in Journalism. Saira's ambition to work in the entertainment and journalism field after college is what originally sparked her interest in joining the Her Campus team.
Adar Levy

UCSB '19

Adar is a fourth-year student at UC Santa Barbara, studying Sociology. She is an avid creative writer, podcast listener, music enthusiast, and foodie. Loving everything from fashion and lifestyle to women's empowerment, she hopes to work for a major women's publication one day. See what Adar is up to on Instagram @adarbear.