This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

It’s that time of the year again. That’s right: the start of the holiday season. The holiday season is the times I have always wanted someone to hold close to experience the holiday magic with. But, in reality, as much as I can hope, I have yet to experience it. And while I know this loneliness is a pretty universal feeling, I can’t help but feel like I’m missing out.

The holidays are heavily romanticized for every person wanting a counterpart to spend them with. Due to this idea of holiday relationships being heavily normalized by the media, I am the first to admit I have been brainwashed into believing that what really makes the holiday season special is being with your other half!

With Halloween long gone, and Thanksgiving approaching, my TikTok For You Page is covered in couples’ costumes, fall couples activities, and overall just couples, couples, couples, and more couples!

Nowadays, a lot of my time consists of listening to my housemates planning to visit their boyfriends’ colleges for Halloween and planning their costumes and activities. And I mean, I get it. Couples costumes are cute. Is a part of me jealous? Maybe.

I wouldn’t say it’s about the couples’ costumes specifically. It’s more about having someone special for the entire holiday season.

As soon as Halloween comes around, it leaves just as fast. Making way for Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, and inevitably, the one that stings the most, Valentine’s Day. *yikes*

Thanksgiving is the time when it’s most heavily romanticized to take your boyfriend home for the holidays to meet your parents, hence the title, “Holiday Boyfriend.”

Christmas is even worse. Christmas has the same hometown feeling as Thanksgiving, but is amplified with the activities winter brings like watching a holiday movie, making cookies, ice skating, or looking at decorations. The Christmas holiday season embodies that rom-com dream of having someone special to spend the holidays with. Not to mention the researching and finding a perfect gift for your special someone or having that moment under the mistletoe — with your “Holiday Boyfriend.”

Ick, don’t even get me started. And I’m not even to the worst part yet. 

sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp

New Year’s Eve. The holiday hyped up for that magic moment at midnight. Surrounded by everyone you love, 11:59 p.m. hits and it’s time for you and that special someone. Never having experienced this going into my twenty-second year on Earth, once the holiday season starts I’m immediately feeling very bleh about it.

Just when you thought it couldn’t get any worse, then comes Valentine’s Day. Just the thought of it gives me anxiety. The number-one day for couples everywhere. This day is known to be hard for us single ladies, but at least it signals the end of the “Holiday Boyfriend” season. And wow, am I happy that’s over! But don’t worry about me — I’m fine, I promise.

While I sound bitter, and I’m sure subconsciously I am, I never experience these holidays alone. The “Holiday Boyfriend” experience is something I’ve never had; I spend these days with my friends. Whether or not they are in a relationship of their own, every holiday we find a way to make it special for each other.

My friends and I find ways to make these holidays full of love and appreciation for each other. Whether it be through making plans, making silly desserts, or watching a cute holiday movie together, we celebrate the holidays and the little moments together. Some of my friends have boyfriends to also spend the holidays with, and honestly, it doesn’t even really matter. We spend the time making sure each other feels loved regardless of anyone else.

My friends are who I share these holiday memories with, and I hold them very close to my heart. And while I haven’t gotten my “Holiday Boyfriend” yet, there’s always next year to try again. And in the meantime, it’s about time I start planning my Friendsgiving with my best friends.

Hi there! I am from Newport Beach California and am a fourth year communications major here at UCSB. I love going for walks and runs around Isla Vista, going to the beach with friends, and going on spontaneous adventures. I am so excited to be able to contribute to the amazing writing platform that is Her Campus.