This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

“Clean” is a label that’s starting to appear everywhere along with words like “natural” and “organic,” but what exactly does it mean for beauty and skincare products?   

There really is no solid definition. However, to me clean beauty means feeling safe using a product. When I am using a clean product, I know I am not putting anything toxic or questionable on my skin. Clean beauty also means the brand behind the products are doing their part to help consumers and the environment. The skincare and makeup industry is not regulated, meaning it can be tricky to find products that actually live up to the labels on their packaging. But thanks to the internet, there are a ton of resources that will tell you if the products you use are safe. 

I’m no makeup artist or beauty guru, but I do know when a product works and when it doesn’t. After switching to a plant-based diet around three years ago, I made it a goal to switch to clean beauty products. It was actually much simpler and more cost effective than I assumed it would be!  Even though clean beauty products can contain animal-derived ingredients, such as beeswax, collagen, and lanolin, it’s never been easier to find products without them. However, if you’re trying to steer clear of any animal derived clean beauty products, make sure to check the ingredients!

What I’ve found is that clean, vegan beauty doesn’t have to be complicated or expensive. Here is my compiled list of clean, vegan makeup and skincare products that are worth the hype. 

Derma-E Hydrating Cleanser

If you have sensitive or dry skin like me, you need this face wash. It will not leave your face feeling tight or tingly and it’s perfect morning and night. Derma-E is a great brand and this product is also gluten free, soy free and recyclable! 

Kopari Starry Eye Balm

This coconut eye balm is actually life changing. I’ve noticed such a big difference in the skin under my eyes. My skin is brighter, more moisturized and makeup goes on so much smoother after applying it. If you tend to have oily skin, I would probably recommend using this only a couple of times per week!

Alba Botanica Even Balanced Night Cream 

This night cream feels expensive at such a great price point! It’s thick and goes on super smooth, leaving it feeling light on your skin. Alba Botanica doesn’t use artificial color, sulfates, paragons, or synthetic fragrances. (Even though this cream smells great!)

Sun Bum Mineral Sunscreen Face Tint SPF 30

This product is a must have if you dislike foundation and most tinted moisturizers. This sunscreen face tint feels like what a cloud looks like. It’s light and airy and doesn’t have a lot of coverage so it’s perfect for an everyday tinted sunscreen! This product is also reef safe. 

Juice Beauty SPF 30 Oil Free Moisturizer

If you’re looking for a non-tinted SPF moisturizer, this one is great and works well under or over your makeup. Ingredients such as organic grape and pomegranate, aloe vera and sea algae make this product super hydrating and effective. This one is also reef safe!

Acure Clarifying Shampoo and Conditioner

Acure is an awesome brand all around. Their products are affordable and work super well. I’ve tried tons of their products but always come back to this shampoo and conditioner. I have been using it for over a year now and don’t plan on switching any time soon. All of Acure’s products are paragon free, mineral oil free, petrolatum free, and cruelty free! Their packaging is also recyclable.

Alba Botanica Very Emollient Daily Shade SPF 15

Alba Botanica had to be put on the this list twice just because of how great they are. This lotion is super moisturizing and light enough that you can put it on throughout the day if needed. If you’re looking for a body lotion with SPF, this is the one!

Juice Beauty Phyto-pigments Flawless Finishing Powder 

This powder is light and sheer, making it the perfect setting powder. It contains vegetable glycerin and argan, making it vegan and super hydrating! 

Pacifica Stellar Gaze Length & Strength Mineral Mascara 

After searching for a great clean mascara, I finally found it! It’s formulated with vitamin B and coconut which I think makes the application smooth. It also lasts all day! I never have to reapply. This mascara has no carmine or silicone. The entire company is 100% vegan and cruelty free.

Beauty Counter Pout Perfect Lip Care Set

I received this as a gift, but will definitely be repurchasing because of how amazing these products are! Their lip polish has peppermint and sugar and gently exfoliates, while the balm is super hydrating. Finishing it off with their lip gloss is the best part because it’s not sticky! Beauty Counter is probably one of the cleanest brands out there and they even partnered with How2Recycle to label their products with directions on how to recycle their products so you don’t have to guess.

Farmacy Coconut Gel Sheet Mask 

While all of Farmacy is not vegan, this face mask does not contain honey and beeswax like some of their products do. It’s Formulated without sulfates, paragons, formaldehydes or synthetic fragrances, this mask will leave your skin bright and hydrated, perfect for a self-care night!

Jess is a junior transfer student at UCSB majoring in English. She loves reading, writing, and baking. She is plant based and passionate about animals and our planet. She hopes to become a novelist and own her own coffee shop one day. When she's not in class, you might find her at a local coffee shop, practicing yoga or listening to Taylor Swift.
 University of California, Santa Barbara chapter of Her Campus