LoLoestrinFE NewsletterGraphic?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
LoLoestrinFE NewsletterGraphic?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

UCSB Resources: What Can They Do For You?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

The college experience is often a time of excitement and self-discovery, but it can also bring about moments of stress, anxiety, and emotional challenges. It can be difficult to navigate life in a new area, especially one as high-paced as UCSB. In this article, we’ll explore the array of services UCSB offers, as well as other support resources available on campus.

Getting Started with CAPS

Before we dive into the services and resources, let’s discuss how to get started with UCSB Counseling & Psychological Services (CAPS). To access their services, you can fill out a CAPS Service Request Form on their website, or you can simply give them a call at (805) 893-4411. The first step is a Brief Initial Assessment, a friendly conversation aimed at understanding your needs and helping you chart the course to better mental health.

What CAPS Offers

CAPS is dedicated to enhancing the psychological well-being of the entire UCSB community, and they offer a range of services tailored to meet the diverse needs of students, faculty, and staff:

• Short Term Individual Counseling: CAPS provides short-term counseling sessions to address immediate concerns and help you regain your balance during challenging times.
  • Single Session Therapy: If you’re looking for immediate support, single session therapy offers a one-time opportunity to discuss your concerns with a trained professional.
  • Long Term Individual Counseling: For those who require ongoing support, CAPS offers long-term counseling to help navigate life’s complexities.
  • Livehealth Teletherapy: Remote counseling sessions are available for those who prefer the flexibility of virtual appointments.
  • Group Therapy: Joining a therapy group can provide a sense of community and support from peers who are experiencing similar challenges.
  • Mental Health Peers: Trained peers are available for confidential conversations, offering support and connecting you to resources when needed.

Additional CAPS Services

In addition to individual counseling, CAPS takes a holistic approach to promoting mental health and well-being across campus:

• Outreach: CAPS tailors their outreach efforts to cater to the unique needs of various student populations, collaborates with campus departments, and uses social media to raise awareness about mental health.
  • Drop-Ins, Massage, Egg Chairs: Take a break and relax with free massage chairs or egg chairs on campus while engaging with peers who are trained to offer support and resources.
  • Workshops: Students can attend workshops to learn about various mental health topics held throughout the academic quarter.
  • School Anxiety Program (SAP): The SAP includes one-on-one sessions with peers who help you learn valuable time management, coping, and relaxation skills to reduce anxiety.
  • Crisis Assistance: CAPS offers crisis intervention and consultation. You can call by telephone when you need urgent support, and they can provide assistance directly or consult with others, like parents, friends, faculty/staff, or residence hall staff, who may have reached out about crisis situations.
  • Meditation Recordings: Find guided meditation recordings on the CAPS website to help you relax and reduce stress.

Other Campus Resources

In addition to CAPS, UCSB provides a range of resources to support the well-being and safety of its community:

• UCSB Student Mental Health Coordination Services (805-893-3030): For help with coordinating mental health services on campus, this service is available to assist you.
  • UCSB CARE: The CARE program offers support and resources for sexual assault, relationship violence, stalking, and harassment survivors. Services are free and confidential and extend to students, staff, and faculty of all identities.
    • Advocacy Services: CARE provides a wide range of advocacy services, including medical, reporting, academic, housing, emotional, financial, and more.
  • Title IX: Title IX is a federal law designed to end sex discrimination in education. UCSB provides a comprehensive range of services and accommodations related to Title IX, including reporting, academic accommodations, housing accommodations, employment accommodations, financial aid assistance, and immigration/visa status support.

For additional information on mental health and resources, you can also visit www.ucsbmhp.com.

The University of California, Santa Barbara is dedicated to the well-being of its community members, and the resources available, from CAPS to CARE and Title IX, reflect this commitment to providing support and fostering a safe and inclusive environment for all. Remember, seeking help is a sign of strength, and there is support available to help you thrive during your time at UCSB.

Laurelle is a fourth year Psychological Brain Sciences major who loves true crime, reading, and all things Taylor swift related. When her nose isn’t in a book or studying, you can find her at the ocean probably thinking about the values and complications of life.