Things To Do At A Party School Other Than Partying

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Did you get into UC Santa Barbara and the first thing your friends and family said to you was, “Isn’t that a party school?”

Don’t worry, we’ve all been there. Most people like to focus on UCSB’s “party” image and look past the fact that it is the number five public school in the nation. Sure, you can always find a party going on in Isla Vista, but you can find that on any college campus in the world. There are so many things to do at this “party” school other than partying.

The most obvious appeal to UCSB is that a beautiful beach is your backyard. The beach is extremely accessible to students, with paths leading to essentially private beaches from the dorms, surfboard racks attached to buildings, and a steady temperature of 80 degrees on almost any given day. The beach is a great place to spend your day swimming in the ocean, catching up on homework while lounging in the sand, playing a game of beach volleyball, or taking a nice walk to see the sunset.

Image via CBS Los Angeles 

Drive in movie theaters are a perfect place to catch a movie without the big theater prices. Located just one freeway exit before campus, West Wind Movie Theater is a Goleta staple. Showing a double feature every night, you can get in your movie fix for only $8.50. This is a perfect way to spend a night at UCSB hanging out with friends, going on a date, or using it for the instagram and taking cute pictures.

Image via America’s Car Museum 

Knapp’s Castle is a hidden gem of Santa Barabara and a great way to get outside and enjoy nature (only once you’re tired of the beach). Located in the Los Padres National Forest, just 16.8 miles from UCSB,  as a part of the Los Padres National Forest, Knapp’s Castle offers breathtaking panoramic views of the valley below. Knapp’s Castle is a perfect way to get a hike in with a rewarding view at the end. The hike leads you to a collection of ruins from an old mansion, creating the perfect playground.

Image via Pandaberry Trail 

If you’re trying to experience the true Isla Vista feel while avoiding the party scene down on DP, try taking a food tour of IV. Home to lots of quirky and delicious places, IV has something for everyone. Check out Caje for some of their infamous avocado toast or one of their elaborate smoothies. You will always find people inside and out working on homework, socializing, or just soaking up the sun. Venture down the street to Coffee Collab and check out some of their art while trying one of their delicious lattes. In the mood for some comfort food? Buddah Bowls has everything from: chili, to salads, to the “Mac Daddy” (mac and cheese covered in bacon amongst other things). All of their creations are served in a fresh and delicious hand carved bread bowl. Check out Lao Wang for Asian street food paired with a pitcher of Rose. IV has a place to satisfy every craving.

Image via Facebook 

Whether you’re into the party scene or not, UCSB has so much more to offer than it’s outdated reputation. Explore nature, enjoy good food, take in some pretty spectacular sites, and revel in the wonder of having the Pacific Ocean as your backyard.

Image via Cnsi

Hanna is a first year student at UCSB planning to major in Communications. She is interested in everything fashion and pop culture related. When she isn't writing for Her Campus she enjoys hanging out with her friends, being active in her sorority, and showing everyone pictures of her bulldog.
Adar Levy

UCSB '19

Adar is a fourth-year student at UC Santa Barbara, studying Sociology. She is an avid creative writer, podcast listener, music enthusiast, and foodie. Loving everything from fashion and lifestyle to women's empowerment, she hopes to work for a major women's publication one day. See what Adar is up to on Instagram @adarbear.