These Body-Loving Celebs Are Keeping It Real

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

It’s nearly impossible to fight the discussion surrounding body image that’s all around us. As growing women in college, the topic is even more central in our lives as our bodies develop. It is no help that our current culture is body image obsessed. The media places unattainable and unrealistic ideals on us, compelling women to strive for something that is unnatural and, in many cases, unhealthy.

In honor of Eating Disorder Awareness Week, we are celebrating the celebrities who are defying media’s norms by projecting a healthy and natural body image for women. These women are honest about the body image struggles they have dealt with, and are adamant about not giving into the entertainment industry’s unrealistic expectations and standards. Here are the women that are motivating us to love our bodies for the beautiful shapes that we are!

LENA DUNHAM

Creator of her own hit comedy show, Lena Dunham battled eating disorders and discomfort with her body growing up. Dunham promotes self love by advocating that all body types deserve respect and admiration, not just a specific stereotypical mold. Besides her advocacy for a healthy body image, Dunham is an empowering #GIRLBOSS as the writer, creator, and star of her own show, “Girls”. She inspires women to indulge in their humorous side and to seek out their dreams, despite failures and hardships that occur along the way. In hilarious and realistic sex scenes, Dunham owns every inch of her body, inspiring us to love and appreciate ourselves the way she does.

JENNIFER LAWRENCE

Lawrence strives to be a positive role model for young women and girls by staying true to her normal and healthy body weight. She is aware that young girls everywhere look up to herm and doesn’t want them to think that any sort of body type is the “right” way to be. Lawrence radiates beauty inside and out, generating a strong image for women to embody. She has been quoted saying, “It should be illegal to call someone fat.” Preach, JLAW.

BEYONCE

It is no lie that in my eyes, Queen B has an incredibly bangin’ bod. Nonetheless, the media consistently scrutinizes Beyonce’s weight, making negative claims about her body. The bootylicious singer defies all criticism with a fearless tenacity, owning each and every curve on her body. Beyonce empowers women to be proud of their bodies no matter the size, and to flaunt what we have been naturally given.

These are just a few of the celebrities who are protesting the unrealistic standards the entertainment industry impresses on society. They are teaching us to love and take pride in our bodies.

Remember, you are only given one body in this life and it is yours to cherish. When you show self-love, your beauty radiates from within!

Mya McCann is a fourth year literature student in the College of Creative Studies at UCSB. She currently lives in Bangkok, Thailand and is in the business of running BKK. On the weekends you can find Mya either in the jungle or on an island. On the weekdays she studies Thai and Buddhism and teaches English to sex workers in the red light district. You can follow her adventures on IG: MyaJoy