The Girlfriend Gift-Giving Guide For Struggling Boyfriends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

With Christmas only a few weeks away, now is the perfect time to start purchasing gifts for that special someone in your life!

I know that apparently shopping for girls is considered “extra difficult” from a male perspective. But let’s face it, usually, guys suck at giving gifts. Of course, it’s the thought that counts and any gift would be appreciated, but we all know a girl who has that forbidden heart necklace collecting dust at the bottom of her jewelry box. So take it from me, one of the girls, to walk you through how to make your beau happy this gift-giving season!

Gift Ideas

Gift Sets

If you are completely clueless about what to get just know that gift sets are the perfect way to go. Ulta, Sephora, Target, and so many other stores can provide you with the perfect premade gift for the girl in your life! Whether she likes makeup, skincare, or haircare you’re guaranteed to find something perfectly suited to her interests!

Coach x Sephora Tea Rose Lipgloss Set
Sephora
Matching Pajamas

Trust me when I say this, there is no better way to a girl’s heart than a good pair of cute, comfy pajama pants. Bonus points if you get yourself a matching pair! Just imagine how cute it would be to cuddle up together next to a fire in your matching pajamas, watch a movie, and drink hot chocolate! Wow, this fictional scenario is making me jealous…

Perfume

Every girl absolutely adores smelling good, even more so if she knows you agree! Of course, you want to make sure you get a scent with notes she actually enjoys. I certainly would not be caught dead in a floral perfume (vanilla lover for life!). While you can always get gift sets full of different tester-sized perfumes for her to test out, some popular scents amongst the girlies include YSL’s Black Opium, Marc Jacob’s Daisy, Ariana Grande’s Cloud, and Sol de Janeiro’s 62

Uggs

They were popping off ten years ago, and they are popping off just as hard now. If you get your girl a pair of Uggs I promise you she will never take them off. I personally have not taken off my Mini Bailey Bows since I got them last Christmas! I would definitely recommend the Ultra Minis, Coquette Slippers, or Tasmans since they are the most trending as of right now.

Digital Camera

The #1 thing on my Christmas list, along with any other girl I’ve talked to, is a digital camera. I swear to you I would never put that thing down if I get one. The whole concept of digital cameras making a comeback really helps us take a step back from social media, enjoy the moment, and have fun! Besides, think of all the cute pictures you could take together!

Jewelry

Okay so I know this might sound contradictory to what I said previously, but I promise us girls love jewelry! I assure you that you can find accessories that are NOT that one heart necklace. But if you cannot refrain from the heart-shaped necklaces, may I introduce to you Tiffany’s Heart Tag Pendant! I guarantee you this is a piece that will actually make it out of the box and onto her neck.

Skims

I don’t know what Kim Kardashian did with this brand, but it surely has the girlies in a chokehold. And I don’t blame them! I mean have you seen those videos of the before and after in the shapewear? I think you can win yourself some brownie points if you surprise your loved one with the Long Slip Dress.

@lakiastar

We love skims over here!!!! Im wearing a xs in everything⚡️#fyp #skims #tryonhaul #blackgirltiktok @SKIMS

♬ Put It On Da Floor – Latto
Lululemon Belt Bag

I don’t care what people say about fanny packs, the Lulu Belt Bag is an essential. I swear anytime I have gone on vacation every single girl has had one of these things on. So I’m sure that your significant other will get plenty of use out of it!

Claw Clips

Once again, an essential accessory that every girl owns, or needs to own. Any time I need to put my hair up, claw clips appear to be the only option. I assure you, a girl can never have too many claw clips!

etsy animal print hair clip?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Photo via Etsy
Something Personal

No better way to tug on your partner’s heartstrings than something sweet and sentimental! From custom paint-by-number kits to engraved bracelets, there are endless options! All I’m saying is that if my boyfriend put together a memory book for us, I think I’d melt right there on the spot. 

In all honestly, every girl is different and while some may like the things on this list, others may not. At the end of the day, a significant other will appreciate any gift as long as it’s from the person they love! I would also like to make a disclaimer that this guide is not exclusive to heterosexual couples only! Men just seem to be the ones who struggle the most when it comes to gift-giving. Kidding! Kinda…

Hey I’m Isabella and I’m a first year pre-communications major at UCSB! I love Taylor Swift, reading, hanging out with friends, and going to the beach!