Life > Experiences

Taking My Grandma To The Barbie Movie — Experiencing Girlhood Through Her Eyes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

I did not know what to expect when going to see Barbie for the third time. It wasn’t until I watched it for the third time with my grandma that I walked away with a different perspective.

I am lucky enough to have my grandma living so close to me. She lives in Montecito with my Aunt and Uncle, and while she lives so close, I don’t see her as often as I should. Since I hadn’t seen her in a while, my mom gave me the idea of taking her to see the Barbie movie since she had expressed how much she wanted to see it before it left the theater.

My grandma and I met downtown at the Santa Barbara Fiesta Five theater promptly at 5 p.m. She showed up in a little pink sweater, bursting with excitement. I then looked at myself, wearing my yoga pants and white hoodie, realizing how little spirit I had for seeing it for a third time. While I love my grandma and was very excited to see her, I wasn’t sharing her same excitement about the movie.

The first time I watched Barbie was with my mom. The movie made me feel sentimental about my childhood, and made me appreciate my mom as a woman. The second time I watched the film, I was with my friends—and it really didn’t hit the same. With my friends, I found that the message of the movie was not as resonant as it had felt the first time. I loved the movie the first time I saw it, therefore was shocked by my own reaction the second time. Going into my third time I was dragging my feet, but knew this was going to be something nice for my grandma and I to do together.

As the movie started, my grandma would “ooh” and “ahh” at the pretty colors and sets, and even applauded the first time she saw Margot Robbie hit the screen. Her enthusiasm was adorable. As the movie continued, she would giggle at every joke, sometimes even having to cover her mouth to contain her enjoyment.

Since I anticipated the plot and jokes, I found myself constantly looking over at my Grandma, smiling when I saw her smile, and letting out a quiet giggle whenever I heard hers. She was truly experiencing every moment, which in turn made my experience better.

Towards the end of the movie when the strong sentimental messages are unfolded to the audience, she grabbed my hand. I instantly felt a tear come down my face as I remembered it was my grandma who gave me my first Barbie. As soon as my first tear fell, they continued as I thought about how she had been there for me during every stage of my life. While my memories are not as extensive as hers, I realized that while I am now just finally stepping into one of the first major stages of my life in adulthood, she was in her last. 

When the movie ended, we just continued to sit there together. We talked about what we had watched and how it made us feel.

It was through that conversation that I realized how lucky I am to be here at this moment. I am so lucky to be starting my life. I am so lucky to be so young. I am so lucky to be so loved. I am so lucky to have a strong mother and a strong grandmother. I am so lucky to have a family. I am so lucky to have had my childhood. I am so lucky to be me. 

margot robbie in a barbie movie
Warner Bros

Hearing her perspective of how fast time flies and how while life can be hard, it is truly what you make of it was inspiring and reflective. She told me she was proud of me and how far I have come. She told me it was a gift to watch me grow up. She told me how much she loved me.

I couldn’t help but cry.

As much as I love spending time with my grandma, I initially felt like seeing the movie for a third time was a waste of my time. I didn’t anticipate having such a deep connection to it now in her presence, and building upon the connection we have with each other.

Hearing about her experiences as a woman and how she got to experience girlhood through me was something I did not expect. The funny thing is, she just did the same thing for me. Suddenly I saw everything differently.

I often find myself getting caught up in things that don’t actually matter, never fully present with the moment in front of me. By taking this time with my grandma, I experienced girlhood through her eyes based on her experience with me. 

While I have always looked back on my childhood fondly, I now look back through her lens and see how special the little moments truly were. This now makes me want to celebrate all of the small moments in my life.

As we walked out of the theater together, she told me how great of a time she had, and how she hoped to see me again soon. When hugging her goodbye, I just didn’t want to let go.

This night really impacted me a lot deeper than I thought it would. I left the theater holding my memories, and the people in my life, a lot closer to my heart than ever before.

Hi there! I am from Newport Beach California and am a fourth year communications major here at UCSB. I love going for walks and runs around Isla Vista, going to the beach with friends, and going on spontaneous adventures. I am so excited to be able to contribute to the amazing writing platform that is Her Campus.