samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Struggles of Going Back to School After Winter Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

It’s January 3rd. Last day of Winter Break. Your mom looks at you and says: “Are you excited for school?” Ummmm…..

Winter Break is the best. 3 weeks of eating, eating, Netflixing, skiing, and eating. You’re in pure bliss. Christmas movies, hot chocolate, Friends reruns, your moms’ cooking; these are a few things about break that make it the best time ever.

But all good things must come to an end. And just like that, Winter Break was over.

It’s January 4th. And you snooze your alarm. You have to set an alarm. How sad is that.

And wake up at 7 am for your 8 am. How sad is that???

You’re ten pounds heavier so maybe those pounds will insulate your cold, desolate walk to class. But no, the winter winds leave you at their mercy. Your eyes water from the cold, stark winds. Or they could be tears. Who knows at this point. (s/o to El Nino)

You sit at your first lecture and you write in 1/4/15 instead of 1/4/16. Ugh, WHY.  So not meant to be here right now. You should be in bed, sleeping, dreaming about that cute boy you (didn’t) kiss at New Year’s.

You turn around and see two other girls sitting in front of you, dressed in the cutest. Outfits. Ever. Their hair and makeup is completely done. Are they aliens?

The professor takes 50 full minutes talking about the syllabus. 50 FULL MINUTES. You use all your willpower not to fall asleep. Wow. That’s a lot of willpower.

You come back home after a long day of school, and you see your roomies. And the reuniting is REAL. For once, you’re not sad about being back. You catch up and talk about Winter Break and get excited over all the debaucheries you guys will commit over Winter quarter. It’s gonna be…LIT.

HEY, maybe it’s not that bad to be back from Winter break! But then you sign on to Gauchospace and see your homework assignments…

Good luck this quarter Gauchos. May the force be with you!!

Just a Bay Area girl trying to make it in the real world with the help of friends, coffee, and Drake.
Kirby is a recent graduate from UCSB currently living in Los Angeles. As a proud Her Campus UCSB alum, she's happy to be back on the HC team covering one of her fave shows: "The Mindy Project." On any given day you can find her with her nose in a book (let's be real - it's a Kindle). In her free time, she likes petting dogs, binge-watching TV, and eating a lot of food. Find her on Instagram: @kirbynicoleb or @GirlBossEats.