kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

The Struggle Of Keeping A Routine In College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

If you’re like me, you thrive on a routine. Knowing what comes next is perfect for someone who hates surprises. I love being able to plan out my day and make sure I have time for all the things I like to do to make my days fulfilled. SInce going to college I have unfortunately learned this is more of a dream to be had.

Keeping a routine in college is extremely difficult. Yes, you have your basic class schedule, which is something that needs to be kept. Beyond classes I have found it extremely difficult to actually plan out the other aspects of my day. I find the reason for this being how crazy, busy, and spontaneous college life can be. I have found that whenever I do plan out my day, it ends up going in a completely different direction. Sure, it’s nice to think you’ll go to the gym at a certain time, but when it comes down to it, most people will choose the extra hour of their day to catch up on the sleep they missed the night before because they were studying until 3 am.

Image Via The Academy GTC 

Not being able to keep a schedule in college can be frustrating and lead to negative behaviors. College turns into a game of convenience rather than routine. The microwave mac and cheese is much more convenient than planning time to go to the store and actually cooking a meal. The extra sleep sounds so much better than running on a treadmill. Going out with friends is much more fun than sitting down and studying. It’s safe to say that everything you should be doing, is not what you are going to want to.

Image Via Dissolve 

In order to challenge this vicious cycle you had to become a routine person, and stick to it heavily. If you think of your routine as something as crucial as attendance in class, it might be easier to keep. Imagine breaking your routine as turning in an assignment late and taking a penalty. Yes, keeping a routine can be extremely difficult because of all the other distractors that are a part of college life, but it can also be extremely helpful. A routine can keep you on track to make sure you are getting your work done, eating right, and taking care of both your physical and mental health.

Image Via Ideas on Fire 

Hanna is a first year student at UCSB planning to major in Communications. She is interested in everything fashion and pop culture related. When she isn't writing for Her Campus she enjoys hanging out with her friends, being active in her sorority, and showing everyone pictures of her bulldog.
Adar Levy

UCSB '19

Adar is a fourth-year student at UC Santa Barbara, studying Sociology. She is an avid creative writer, podcast listener, music enthusiast, and foodie. Loving everything from fashion and lifestyle to women's empowerment, she hopes to work for a major women's publication one day. See what Adar is up to on Instagram @adarbear.