This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

If someone would have told me five years ago that my morning routine would become something that I would look forward to every day, I would’ve thought they were crazy. Growing up, I always considered myself more of a night owl. Rolling out of bed before the sun was up in the morning was not my thing. However, as I got older, I realized the importance of taking a little time for myself in the early parts of the day before starting the hustle and bustle of everyday life. I’m not gonna sit here and pretend that I never wake up wishing that I could hit the snooze button and stay under the covers a little longer because that is just not true. We all have our days, but I can promise you that implementing this routine into your daily schedule will help you move through the days feeling refreshed, and your future self will thank you for that extra A.M. love. 

First, set that alarm and don’t snooze it. Okay, fine, you can snooze once, but that’s it! Normally, I wake up around 7:00 am, sometimes a little earlier, depending on what I have to do that day. It is important to pick a time that is realistic for you so that you are more likely to stick to it (even on the weekends). Make your bed as soon as you wake up–– this sets the stage for the rest of your day and gives you a sense of accomplishment because you have already tackled the first task of the day. 

Do your best to stay off of social media. This is something that I still find myself struggling with, but the days where I stay off socials in the mornings are the days I feel more level-headed. Trust me, it can wait. 

Skincare first thing in the morning is a must for me. My skincare routine is something I take pride in, and I simply can’t live without it. Okay, that’s dramatic, I could, but I don’t want to. Some of my go-to products are Youth to the People Superfood Cleanser, Freck Beauty Rich Bitch Moisturizer, Supergoop Glowscreen SPF, and the Ole Henriksen Banana Bright Eye Crème. Skincare and teeth brushing go hand-in-hand, so don’t forget to brush those pearly whites while you’re at it. 

After doing my skincare routine, I go to the kitchen and pour myself a large glass of iced coffee. It just hits differently (even in the winter). I also make sure to hydrate during this time.  A mason jar filled with iced water and freshly-squeezed lemon juice never fails to wake me up in the morning. I’ll also make my breakfast around this time, which can range from avocado toast to a homemade breakfast burrito or a yogurt bowl with fresh fruit. It all depends on my mood that day.  Breakfast is not only my personal favorite, but it is also the most important meal of the day. So, make sure you’re fueling your body with foods that bring you joy and energy.  

"two sliced breads with avocado on top" on Unsplash
Photo by Anna Pelzer from Unsplash

While I eat my breakfast, I like to plan out the rest of my day. I rely on my planner to help me stay on top of my crazy schedule, and I truly don’t know what I would do without it. I recommend writing out all your responsibilities by hand. Doing this helps me prioritize my day. During this time, I also like to spend a few minutes journaling and focusing on gratitude. I’ve been enjoying the Five Minute Journal because it gives you writing prompts and makes the journaling process less intimidating. 

Normally, I prefer to work out in the mornings, but I don’t always have enough time. On the days that I do have time, I like to do a Peloton workout or a HIIT video on Youtube. I would highly suggest encouraging your housemate or a friend to join you because working out with a partner makes it a whole lot less dreadful. After I work out and shower, I put on a cute outfit that makes me feel comfortable and confident. Then, I pack my bag for the rest of the day. 

As a busy college student who works multiple jobs, I know how hard it can be to find a few minutes for yourself. Setting your alarm a little earlier than you normally do and practicing this routine will do wonders for your mental and physical health. It might take some time to get used to it, but I can guarantee that you will not regret it in the long run.

Roxanne is a senior Film and Media studies major at UCSB. She was born and raised in the Bay Area but has made Santa Barbara her home for the past five years. When Roxanne isn't writing or spending hours catching up on Youtube videos, you can find her working with children or at the beach with friends!
 University of California, Santa Barbara chapter of Her Campus