This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

While I have many complaints about the quarter system (midterms always seem to sneak up on me), one thing that I see as an advantage is that every 11 weeks (counting finals week), we quarter students get a blank slate to become that person you’ve always wanted to be.  

The following habits can help you leave those bad habits behind:

1. Buy a planner (and actually use it)

Image via The Wire Cutter

If there’s one thing I buy at the start of every year, it’s a planner. And then I immediately stop using them. I would show you all the stack of old unused planners that live in my desk if I wasn’t so ashamed. Learn from my mistakes because when you wake up at 2 am remembering that essay due in 8 hours, you’re going to wish you had a planner to rely on.  

2. Meal Plan

Image via Smile Sandwich

Yes, Woodstock’s sounds great. You can tempt me with Freebirds any day of the week, but my wallet and body will not appreciate it. The great thing about meal planning and prepping is that it takes the guesswork out of dinnertime. If you’re like me and are sick of eating spaghetti for the 3rd time in a row (SICK. OF. IT.), then get a group of friends together, assign each of them a different dish, and BOOM, a whole week of different meals with a fraction of the effort.      

3. Spending Log

Image via Pinterest

Some of us need our vanilla almond milk latte in the mornings, and keeping a spending log doesn’t mean I have to deny myself that joy, just that I have to budget it and cut out the non-essential spending that breaks my bank account.

4. Give Yourself a Break!

Image via Philadelphia

Work, school, internships, volunteering. We all want to do it all, but sometimes we have to remind ourselves that we’re only human and we need to give ourselves rest. So read a book, or take a relaxing bath, or knit a sweater, or go for a run, do whatever your mind needs to relax and you’ll see that your rested self will give a better overall effort in comparison to your tired self.

When SoCal native Lucely Chavez isn't up to her ears in words, she's continuing her mission to find the best coffee ice cream in the world (McConnell's Ice Cream is the current #1). She's currently in her 4th year at UC Santa Barbara where she is majoring in English and minoring in Professional Writing. 
Hi, Collegiettes! I'm Carmen, a Communication major at University of California, Santa Barbara and one of two Campus Correspondents for UCSB. I would love to one day work in either fashion, food, tech, financial services or philanthropy. My dream is to find a job that somehow combines several of those elements. Until I get there, I'll be munching on copious amounts of Trader Joe's dried mango, jamming out to my man, Frank Sinatra, and focusing on creating intriguing content! If you like my writing, talk to me. ;)