Trader Joe\'S Reusable Bag
Trader Joe\'S Reusable Bag
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon
Wellness > Health

Vegan Student Trader Joe’s Essentials

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

As someone who loves shopping and also loves food, it just makes sense that I enjoy grocery shopping. I’m not just talking about walking into any old grocery store—I’m talking about the fan favorite: Trader Joe’s. Getting to wander the aisles in search of delicious ingredients and new treats is always fun for me. However, being a vegan means I spend a lot of my time in grocery stores reading ingredient lists—it feels like there is dairy and eggs in nearly everything! What makes things easier, especially when I am in a rush, is having some tried and true items that I know I will be happy to eat throughout the week. Whether you’re a frequent consumer of animal products, resolving to eat fewer animal products in 2023, or have long been plant-based, there is sure to be something on this list that you too will fall in love with!

Vegan Caramelized Onion Dip

I was never a huge fan of onion dip until this past year. One afternoon, my Grandma came home from the grocery store with the TJ’s Vegan Caramelized Onion Dip simply because it said vegan on it, and thus she thought I might enjoy it; boy, was she right! Nearly every time I went grocery shopping last quarter, I bought myself a tub of this dip and a box of the TJ’s Pita Bite Crackers, and by my next grocery excursion, I would be ready to buy another. 

Organic Popcorn with Olive Oil Spread

There is little I love more in life than a little treat, so TJ’s Organic Popcorn with Olive Oil Spread is a favorite of mine. I don’t know what it is about this product, but it tastes exactly how popcorn should. Sometimes I eat a piece and get worried that I’m actually eating buttered popcorn, but after checking the ingredients for the 100th time, I am reminded that no, Trader Joe’s just really knows how to do popcorn.

Vegan Salmonesque Spread

I will admit I only bought this product for the first time last week, but I can also confidently say it is going to become a fixture in my diet. As a college student, it feels like I am always in a rush, so a typical breakfast for me usually consists of a bagel with something smeared on it. This spread is perfect for my quick morning bagel, tasting eerily similar to how I remember lox and cream cheese.

Spicy Lentil Wrap

I ate TJ’s Spicy Lentil Wraps so often last quarter that I did get tired of them for a little while, but my ability to enjoy them has luckily returned. They are so easy to grab and eat which, as I mentioned, is very nice as a busy college student. It was so handy to have these wraps on hand, especially on nights when I would only get home from yoga or the library at 8 or 8:30. It was also super nice when I was living in the dorms because they do not require any kind of cooking—not even a microwave heat-up.

Mediterranean Hummus Snack Pack

Another favorite snack of mine is the TJ’s Mediterranean Hummus Snack Pack, which is essentially just pita chips and hummus that you can take on the go. These are again super convenient and incredibly delicious. Whenever my mom would pack them in my lunch as a kid, I would be ecstatic. Even better, they come in packs of two!

Chicken-less Mandarin Orange Morsels

While these require a bit more preparation than, say, the Spicy Lentil Wrap, I would argue that it is completely worth it. Paired with TJ’s Vegetable Fried Rice, these make such a great lunch. 

Dried Mango

Maybe this one is a little bit basic, but things get popular for a reason! While dried mango from most grocery stores is pretty much all the same, I love the Trader Joe’s version in particular for a couple of reasons. For starters, I find it to be more affordable than at other stores (at least if you’re buying the most basic one). Also, I love the size of the bag; it is perfect to slip into your bag so you have something to munch on if you get hungry while you’re out.

Vegan Banana Bread with Walnuts

Whenever I come across a tasty vegan baked good, I never let it go. TJ’s Vegan Banana Bread with Walnuts is one such product. It is always perfectly moist (sorry), and the flavor is absolutely delicious. Even friends and family members of mine, who are not particularly crazy about vegan products, always come back for seconds of this one.

Vegan Kale, Cashew, and Basil Pesto

I was fully not a pesto girl before this product. In all fairness, I think it was more that I refused to even try it as opposed to not liking it, but still. Luckily, something about this pesto really made me see the error in my ways. I put it on everything: bagels, pretzels, pasta (especially gnocchi!), and pretty much everything else that I think is missing a little something.

Peanut Butter Filled Pretzel Nuggets

These are another snack I was always elated to find in my lunch box. I think I am partial to these given my affinity for peanut butter, but if almond butter is perhaps a bit more your speed, this product also has an almond butter counterpart

Oat Chocolate Bars

Before I went vegan, I was obsessed with milk chocolate. Something about its smooth texture and light taste made it my favorite type of chocolate. Unfortunately, giving up milk also meant giving up milk chocolate. When I first tried a TJ’s Oat Chocolate Bar, I was transported back to 6+ years ago when I indulged in eating milk chocolate. It has the perfect taste and texture, and every time I spot a pack near the Trader Joe’s checkout I throw it in my cart.

While these are my absolute favorite vegan TJ’s products, this is definitely not an exhaustive list. There are so many delicious vegan foods out there, at Trader Joe’s and beyond. Whether you’re plant-based or not, I hope this list helps you find a new favorite to add to your grocery list each week!

Hi, I'm Sloan, and I'm a second-year sociology major at UCSB! I love the beach, music, going to the gym, and cats. I am interested in mental health, fashion, sports, and so much more. I can't wait to share my passions with you through Her Campus!