Alexis Bledel and Lauren Graham in gilmore girls
Saeed Adyani/Netflix
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

I mentally kick myself anytime I am too hasty and make a wrong decision. By wrong decisions, this could mean ordering takeout from a new place and not liking it, or attending a four-year university without having a passion or career in mind. By making the wrong decision a handful of times, I have become more uncertain with myself. The overwhelming pressure to make decisions causes me to avoid them altogether. This issue has become more serious as I’ve begun to lack decision on simple everyday things, and it struck me that this is something I need to manage better.

I started to deal with my uncertainty by reassuring myself after a decision, accepting my choices and letting go of the fear of being incorrect. Instead of fixating on a choice, I tried distracting myself and not spending time overthinking. By being kinder to yourself and acknowledging that you are making decisions to the best of your ability, you allow yourself forgiveness. Making decisions can be difficult, but self-doubt and avoidance can make it more challenging.

Individuals can experience uncertainty in different areas of their life, whether it be in relationships, work, or day-to-day issues. For me, uncertainty and self-doubt started when I rushed through prerequisite classes for a department and did not meet the GPA to enter the program. I wanted to finish the classes early and it split my focus, leading to lower grades. After the rejection from the department, I fixated on my decision and felt like I was making the wrong choices. I was in a slump emotionally and mentally. I took ownership of my choice, but it overwhelmed me to know it could have been different if I had made different choices.

However, reflecting on my decisions two years later, I see how the “wrong” choice did not result in failure. I finished my feminist studies bachelor my third year, and I am currently finishing my sociology bachelor, professional writing minor, and honors feminist research project. In fact, one of the sociology classes I took last year inspired me to become a high school counselor. If I had not made the decisions I made, I would not be on the current path I am on. I have learned a lot and become inspired towards a career I would not otherwise have been.

Uncertainty can create self-doubt and constant questioning; it is something we all experience, but it is important to not dwell on the past. I spent many months wishing I had made different decisions, but it did not change anything. I had to create a new path and start to believe in myself, regaining the confidence I lost.

Brenda is a fourth-year majoring in feminist studies and sociology and minoring in the professional writing program. She was born and raised in South Central, Los Angeles. If she is not studying or writing she is probably watching a romantic comedy.