I Am A Transfer Student And This Is My Story

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Transferring schools can mean different things to everyone. You can transfer from a different UC campus, transfer from a community college, or transfer into a private university from a public school. My route was community college. I received a mixed bag of opinions when telling people that I was attending community college out of high school. People would either say, “Great idea, wish I could be saving all that money.” Or the blunt reaction: “Just because you did not get into that school the first time, doesn’t mean you will be declined the second time around. Better luck next time around.”

After finishing three degrees at my community college, here I am, at UC Santa Barbara. Don’t worry, I got the initial “oh, you are going to a party school” kind of tone from people when I mentioned it. But I am proud to say that I am attending such a prestigious school, no matter all the misconceptions people pose or how I got here. I was determined to show them how much more this school has to offer and prove them all wrong.

I was excited and ready. I always knew I wanted to leave home, venture someplace new, and try and figure out who I was. Days before moving in, the nerves started to bubble up in my stomach. The anxiety of not knowing people for the first time in my life settled in. I was officially moving away from home and there was no looking back now. Saying goodbye to my family and watching them drive away, was the official moment I knew I was on my own. Everything from here on ou was up to me.

Now. I am not going to deny that parties happen often here, but don’t they at every school? I had my fill of fraternity shindigs and beach house “daygers”. But balancing the pressure of doing well in school while being surrounded by all the temptations was hard at first, I’m not going to lie. Transferring to UCSB meant that I was placed in a situation to adapt to new surroundings, make new friends, and grasp the concept of a ten-week quarter all at the same time.

I was enjoying every second of being in Santa Barbara. I mean, who wouldn’t love living on the beach with consistently beautiful weather and amazing people to fill it all? But something was always tapping me in the back of my head: this didn’t feel like home. Because I already went to school, worked a job, and lived in Los Angeles, I felt that I was pulled away from all the inspiring hustle and bustle of my favorite city. After a quick, first quarter of much contemplation and finding myself, I realized why I even came here in the first place.

The opportunity opened up for me to come to UCSB, and I decided to take in all that I can to make my time here worthwhile. I am able to be apart of important organizations and meet crucial people to help me prepare and succeed in my future endeavors. One piece of advice I have always kept with me is “it is not only about what you know, but who you know”; first impressions are everything. Putting yourself out there is what college is for. The accomplishments you make and the life lessons you learn here at school will only help you get closer to your dreams.

Transferring to this school was something I would have truly regretted if I didn’t make the decision to move away from home. Even though the whole process is, and was, intimidating, it is such a pivotal time in life to experience independence. Whether you are transferring or starting as a freshman, don’t worry: you are not alone. We have all been there; things only go up from here!

Giphy.com

Adar Levy

UCSB '19

Adar is a fourth-year student at UC Santa Barbara, studying Sociology. She is an avid creative writer, podcast listener, music enthusiast, and foodie. Loving everything from fashion and lifestyle to women's empowerment, she hopes to work for a major women's publication one day. See what Adar is up to on Instagram @adarbear. 
Hi, Collegiettes! I'm Carmen, a Communication major at University of California, Santa Barbara and one of two Campus Correspondents for UCSB. I would love to one day work in either fashion, food, tech, financial services or philanthropy. My dream is to find a job that somehow combines several of those elements. Until I get there, I'll be munching on copious amounts of Trader Joe's dried mango, jamming out to my man, Frank Sinatra, and focusing on creating intriguing content! If you like my writing, talk to me. ;)