This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Being a vegetarian or a vegan over the holiday season can sometimes be hard. Whether you made your decision to be vegetarian based on nutrition, environmental beliefs, cruelty reasons— or just the taste— it may feel that you are missing out over the holiday season if you are not getting the turkey and all the trimmings!!

I only recently became vegetarian at the beginning of last year. I was traveling in Central America and most of the food I was eating was vegetarian, merely by coincidence. Then, after more research into the environmental effects and animal cruelty, I have been a veggie ever since! 

However, last Christmas, I know that my family definitely found it tough to cater to my new dietary requirements. Having grown up in a full meat-eating household, I did not know how to replace the dishes I was used to eating, while still having an exciting meal. I ended up (rather sadly) with a couple of the boring steamed side vegetables as my meal. As I looked down at my sad soggy sprouts and crunch-less carrots, I thought there has to be a better way to do a veggie Christmas. So I made it my mission to find the best veggie Christmas recipes to make anybody envy your meal this year!

Main

The hardest thing to accommodate for is the main event: the roast. Whether your family does a turkey, a ham, a chicken, or even beef, it’s a hard feast to match. Below I have listed my favourite vegetarian roast ideas for you to impress your family with this holiday season. 

Jamie Oliver’s Whole Roasted Cauliflower

For a vegetarian spin on a classic taste try this whole cauliflower recipe to serve 4. If you have the time this one will be a real winner.

Christmas Nut Roast 

A classic vegetarian option for Christmas is always a nut roast. Here is my favourite one for the season. 

Vegetarian Wellington

Another option, similar to the Nut Roast, is the Vegetarian Wellington. Here is Jamie Oliver’s spin on this.

Feta Cannelini Nut Roast 

Spice up the vegetarian classic with a middle eastern twist on the nut roast.

Parsnip Roast 

Another variation would be this scrumptious parsnip roast.

Sides

For the sides, the options are endless (and most are vegetarian anyway). However, this does not mean that this is not still an opportunity to give your veggies some life.

Christmas Cabbage with Hazelnuts, Olives, and Raisins 

People often turn up their noses at cabbage but with this recipe, you might just be the one to change their minds.

Butternut Squashed

This tasty spin on a holiday staple will have you piling it high on your plate.

Roasted Sprouts with Walnuts and Pomegranates 

No more sad soggy sprouts on your dinner table with this recipe!

Butternut Squash Stuffed with Pesto Rice

For a heftier side, this season try out this squash and pesto dish.

Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole

A creamy and indulgent dream, this casserole with complete your table this season.

Balsamic Glazed Roasted Cauliflower

Cauliflower is my favourite veggie side, and this recipe just proves why.

Dessert

For the finale of the dinner, it’s best to go out with a bang. Everybody knows there is always room for a little something sweet and these vegan treats should do more than just satisfy those cravings.

Vegan Minced Pies

This a classic, and a simple recipe for vegans!

Vegan Christmas Pudding

A must at a Christmas dinner table, this recipe will cater to everybody.

Vegan Christmas Tree Cupcake

For more creative bakers out there, this is a perfect festive treat for parties and dinners alike.

Vegan Fig and Custard Tart

A dish to impress. This spectacle will be a winner at any festive event.

A vegetarian Christmas can be just as flavourful and fulfilling as a traditional Christmas lunch or dinner. With the right ingredients and spices just about anything can taste good! So don’t settle for your boring old veg this year. Take note from these recipes, and do something a little different.

Hi! My name is Francesca, I am a second year at UCSB. I am originally from England but have moved to California for college. I love living in SB and being able to live out my California girl dream!