bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

An Easy Guide to Daily Supplements

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

There’s no doubt that eating lots of fresh foods can greatly help your body function properly. However, life can get pretty hectic sometimes and making well rounded meals can become quite a time-consuming chore. As a result, many people turn to taking daily vitamins and other supplements to ensure that they’re getting all the nutrients they need. While multivitamins, in particular, can seem like a quick and easy solution, many contain lots of vitamins that most people don’t need more of or include micronutrients that compete with eachother for absorption. Here’s a list of individual supplements that you might find helpful for aiding your everyday life.

Image via Berkeley Wellness

Omega-3

Omega-3, -6, and -9 fatty acids are all fats important for your daily diet, but the ratio at which you consume them is crucial. Omega-6 and -9 fatty acids can easily be found in many foods and most Americans don’t need to consume any more of them. In fact, while the ideal ratio of omega-3 to omega-6 is 1:4 or less, many Americans consume anywhere from 1:12 to 1:25. Taking omega-3 supplements can help improve this ratio and in turn, help improve eye, brain, and heart health, and also reduce inflammation.

Vitamin B Complex

Vitamin B Complex is made up of eight different B vitamins, including biotin, folic acid, and B-12. Vitamin B Complex can help with many things such as fighting free radicals in the body and promoting healthy growth of skin, hair, and nails. Vitamin B-12 in particular helps improve mood and energy levels, as well as overall brain function- all which are super important for a college student.

Image via Happily Eva After

Vitamin D

Vitamin D is produced in the body when skin comes in direct contact with sunlight. For those who find themselves staying indoors a lot, have dark skin, or live in places where sun is not as plentiful, vitamin D absorption can become an issue. Vitamin D deficiency can lead to bone and muscle pains, depression, and a weakened immune system, so it’s especially important to make sure your body is getting enough of it.

Probiotics

Probiotics help promote a healthy digestive system, which is especially important since the gut can greatly affect overall health. A healthy gut means better absorption of vitamins, reduction in inflammation, and improved mental health. Plus, probiotics are beneficial for vaginal health as they fight off yeast and bacteria growth.

Sally is a fourth year communication student at UCSB. Her favorite things to do include traveling, eating, and binge watching YouTube videos. In her ideal future, she is either a research professor or market analyst for a digital entertainment company and living in her hometown of LA with a hypoallergenic cat.
Adar Levy

UCSB '19

Adar is a fourth-year student at UC Santa Barbara, studying Sociology. She is an avid creative writer, podcast listener, music enthusiast, and foodie. Loving everything from fashion and lifestyle to women's empowerment, she hopes to work for a major women's publication one day. See what Adar is up to on Instagram @adarbear.