Classes to Take Before you Graduate from UCSB

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

We can probably all agree that GE (general education) courses can be dreadful, but there are some GE classes at UCSB that are actually interesting and fun! I’m going to save you the hassle of having to take a terrible GE class and provide some great options for those looking to knock out some GE’s. 

• CLASS 40 – Greek Mythology 

I took this class my first quarter of freshman year and although it does require quite a bit of reading, the class itself was really interesting. If you’re going to take this class make sure to take it with Professor Dunn! He always tells stories that relate to Greek mythologies at the beginning of lecture and makes the material a lot more entertaining. 

• SOC 152A – Human Sexuality 

I have not taken this class, but I have had some friends take it before and they have only had good things to say about it! The class is taught by an older married couple and the topic can seem uncomfortable, but it’s something really important to be knowledgeable about! 

• Chicano Studies 1B – Intro Chicano Studies

Again, I took this class my freshman year to fulfill the ethnicity requirement and I ended up really loved it! I always find it fascinating to learn about the history of other cultures. 

• Theater 5 – Intro to Acting

Not a class I have personally taken, but can definitely be a fun class for those of you who do not mind being in the spotlight. For those who may have a little stage fright, this class may help you break out of your shell!

• Comm 1 – Intro to Communication

I had to take this class for my major last year, but a lot of people take it as a GE too! A good amount of my friends have also taken this class and really enjoyed it. Although it’s an 8AM (yuck, I know) Professor Mullin does her best to keep the class engaged. Her tests can be a little tricky, but if you follow her tips and study guide, you should be fine! 

Cindy is a San Diego native currently attending the University of California, Santa Barbara. As a 2nd year Global Studies major she aspires to work in the PR or marketing industry. During her free time she enjoys hanging out with friends, admiring the breathtaking IV sunsets, napping, shopping, or binge watching favorite TV shows. 
Kristine is a 3rd year Chemistry major at UC Santa Barbara. She was born and raised in San Francisco, CA. When she's not writing, she works with her sister to create adorable baked delicacies for The Royal Icing, their at-home bakery. She's also a ballerina, lipstick enthusiast, and bunny lover. Post-graduation, she plans on going to graduate school while continuing her writing career. Catch her on instagram @CookiesForKay