legally blonde icky valentines day?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
legally blonde icky valentines day?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
MGM

Best Rom-Coms To Get You Ready And Excited For Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Since Valentine’s Day is quickly approaching, it’s time to officially get into the holiday spirit! Although Valentine’s Day is not always a crowd favorite, there is one thing we can all agree on: rom-coms. Rom-coms are great! Everyone has their favorite, and while they can be watched year-round, watching one with your friends is one of the best ways to get in the mood for Valentine’s Day.

After consulting my friends, we compiled a list of our favorite and self-proclaimed “best” rom-coms that are perfect for a pre-Valentine’s Day watch party. 

10 Things I Hate About You

This movie serves as the quintessential 90’s teen romance. The film is packed with adorable nostalgia starring a young Heath Ledger. Let me repeat myself, a young Heath Ledger. A must-see will-they-won’t-they, enemies-to-friends trope — this movie is perfect.

He’s Just Not That Into You

Not only is this film entertaining, but it’s also educational. Take it from the title — sometimes, he’s just not that into you. This movie has an all-star cast varying from Jennifer Aniston to Ben Affleck, with overlapping plot lines between various relationships and situationships. If you haven’t seen this one before, now is the time to do so!

How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days

Who hasn’t seen this movie — let’s be real! I could scream about this movie from the rooftops. This may be the best movie ever made. Kate Hudson and Matthew McConaughey are the cutest couple I have ever seen, and their dynamic of having secret love side-missions and then inevitably actually falling love? AHHHHH!! And her in the iconic yellow dress? Enough said. If you haven’t seen it, immediately go watch it. And, if it’s one of your favorites, immediately go watch it. Just go now! Watch it right now!

The Proposal

Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds are a comedic duo I didn’t know I needed before I saw this film. The evolution of their relationship is adorable to watch unfold over the screen, but the main reason to watch this film is the comedic dialogue between not only the two leads but between all of the characters. You won’t be disappointed!

Notting Hill

I actually watched this movie for the first time recently. It is one of my friend’s favorite movies after she studied abroad in London, and she was shocked to hear I hadn’t watched it before. Starring Julia Roberts and Hugh Grant, this movie was truly iconic. This movie has the famous line, “I’m just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her,” which is truly a heart-bursting statement. This declaration of love and commitment showcases the joy of having someone to love and is perfect for Valentine’s Day.

Crazy, Stupid, Love

Similarly to He’s Just Not That Into You, this film relies on overlapping character plot lines. Another iconic performance between on-screen lovers Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling. If you love this duo and the comedic presence of Steve Carrell, this movie is for you.

50 First Dates

One of the many Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore movies together, 50 First Dates is a classic. Her free-floating spirit, paired with Sandler and his gang of funny friends is cinematic magic. This film is truly a feel-good rom-com, perfect to prepare you for the holiday of love.

When Harry Met Sally

While this movie is the oldest rom-com on this list, it is iconic in its quotes and content. Focusing on the age-old question of, “Can men and women actually be friends?” When Harry Met Sally is a very relatable film. Starring rom-com legend Meg Ryan and funnyman Billy Crystal, this pair are unstoppable on screen. Make sure you check out this classic ASAP!

500 Days of Summer

This is personally my favorite movie ever. While the relationship between Zooey Deschanel and Joseph Gordon-Levitt is not one to necessarily praise and admire, the movie itself provides a different perspective on love itself. I love this movie because I think it is a more realistic representation of a relationship than those regularly shown in rom-coms. And that’s exactly why I love it, and why watching it before Valentine’s Day will get you ready to celebrate those you love in your life, regardless of whatever stage you are in.

While this is my list of perfect rom-coms I have seen, these are movies I know I can rewatch a million more times and still feel the love. I hope they do the same for you, and set you down a path toward being excited for Valentine’s Day.

Hi there! I am from Newport Beach California and am a fourth year communications major here at UCSB. I love going for walks and runs around Isla Vista, going to the beach with friends, and going on spontaneous adventures. I am so excited to be able to contribute to the amazing writing platform that is Her Campus.