This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Midterm season is just a constant state of being here at UCSB, and the stress compounds even more over finals. Education is so prioritized on this campus that we sometimes forget we need a break. However, a break doesn’t necessarily mean relaxing on the beach or endlessly scrolling through your For You Page. It could mean getting the sweet treat you and I both know you deserve (or at least want)!

From drinks to pastries and desserts, Santa Barbara has quite the amount of delectables to try!

The Ucsb classic: blenders

By now, you probably already know all about Blenders. It’s such an easy treat to get after a long day of classes, especially when they close at 10 P.M. Adding in a free supplement every time I go to get a tropical guava smoothie makes me feel so healthy and fit. Confused about their supplements? Read all about Blenders supplements on Her Campus at UCSB!

What’s recommended and popular? I personally love tropical guava and strawberry colada. However if you’re like me and dislike coconut, you can always ask for your drinks without it! The whole tropicals section of drinks at Blenders is a fan favorite, so you can’t go wrong. Though I’ve never tried it, the tropical kale also seems to be a favorite of those who want a little more green in their smoothies. All flavorful and fun, there’s no wrong choice in getting a sweet treat at Blenders.

The best boba in iv: Phresh teas co.

The label of the best boba place in Isla Vista is constantly debated by UCSB students, but majority of us agree that Phresh Teas Co. is the best it gets! They have all types of drinks that range from milk teas, fruit teas, smoothies, slushes, yogurts, and hot drinks.

It can’t be called the best boba place in IV if we don’t talk about the boba. Their boba is soft and chewy — necessary characteristics of a good boba drink. You can always alter the sweetness and ice levels to create your desired mix. The location closest to campus is in Kaiju Ramen and Curry, but there is another location in Goleta.

What’s recommended and popular? I’ve tried a handful of their fruit teas and their milk teas, all with sweetness levels reduced to 75% and ice levels to less. I personally enjoyed passion fruit green tea and their mango green tea. Their taro milk tea is also a favorite. Worse comes to worst and you don’t really enjoy their drinks, they serve dishes that you can consider a sweet treat instead.

The aesthetic cafe: Kin Bakeshop

Drinks
Alex Frank / Spoon

Located in the Turnpike Shopping Center, Kin Bakeshop is a cafe that serves both handmade drinks and pastries. New to their permanent location, it’s best to keep up with their instagram updates on what they’ll be serving that day and if pastries have already sold out. Their menu differs, so it’s a new experience every time!

As for their interior, it’s a sweet treat in itself to just sit inside their bakeshop. With a minimalistic color scheme and design, Kin is perfect for taking those aesthetic matcha Instagram stories. From music to lighting, everything about Kin exudes composed, relaxing, and delicious.

In regards to the bakeshop aspect of their name, Kin produces new weekly flavors for their Brioche donuts and mochi donuts. Some flavors we’ve already seen are Thai tea Oreo, passionfruit, guava, and dalgona milk.

What’s recommended and what’s popular? I loved their matcha einspänner. It’s creamy and has the perfect balance of matcha that doesn’t taste too heavy or too light. From countless friends who have visited Kin Bakeshop, mostly all have recommended the hojicha black sesame cream top or the hojicha latte. As for their pastries, I don’t think you could go wrong with anything you choose! I’ve yet to try their pastries, but my next sweet treat will definitely be at Kin for a brioche donut.

runner up sweet treats

Don’t see your favorite spot for a sweet treat? Maybe they’re listed here!

• McConnell’s Fine Ice Cream: Chocolate covered strawberries ice cream flavor
  • Tondi Gelato: Any of their gelato flavors
  • Anna’s Bakery: Lemon bars

There’s so many locations near campus and in Santa Barbara for us students to try. Whether it’s before, after, or both, treat yourself during this hectic finals season!

Hi my name is Lydia Kim and I'm a first-year Economics and Accounting major at UC Santa Barbara. I'm an editorial intern and I enjoy writing, reading, journaling, and going on internet rabbit holes. In the future, I hope to work in marketing and become a creative director.