Wellness > Health

A Beginner’s Guide To Running At UCSB

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Fall quarter can be stressful for many students; freshman and transfer students alike attempt to acclimate to the UCSB campus while everyone else struggles with settling into the academic year after a summer full of late mornings, vacations, and adventures. 

I fell into the category of arriving at UCSB as a freshman this year, and I can say it has been quite stressful adjusting to college life. However, a bright spot for me has been what I do to alleviate some of that stress, which is maintaining a regular running schedule.  

For those of you looking to get into running to relieve stress, stay fit, find a new passion, or for any other reason, I am here to help you do just that! I’ve compiled my best advice for new runners at UCSB, complete with scenic places to run, races coming up, and even where to buy some great gear. 

Running has changed my life for the better, and I hope by offering these tips, it can provide the same stress-relieving effects in your life as it has in mine.

Tip #1: Where to Run

When I arrived on campus a few weeks ago, I had a hard time finding good places to run, especially because running through campus is a little scary during the day with everyone whizzing by on their bicycles. 

With that being said, running on campus can be fun, but I would recommend running before eight in the morning or after six at night. Both of these time periods can be inconvenient, so that’s why I don’t love running through campus, but if these times do work for you, here are a couple options:

1.) Start at Cheadle Hall and run through campus to Goleta Point (1.0 mile): This run is fun because you can change your exact route up and the mileage will stay relatively the same. Plus, if you live in on-campus housing near Goleta Point, you can start your run at Goleta Point, run to Cheadle Hall, and run right back to your dorm for a grand total of roughly 2 miles.

2.) Start at the Rec Cen and run to the Santa Catalina (FT) Towers (1.2 miles): While this run starts on campus, it continues outside of campus and places you very close to pretty trails by the ocean, just in case you want some more mileage.

For people that don’t love the idea of running on campus, and prefer to run away from their classes (I get it), here is a great option, and one of my personal favorite runs:

3.) Start at Isla Vista Theater and run to Devereux Beach (1.6 miles): This is one of the most scenic runs you’ll experience in Isla Vista because the majority of it provides great views of the ocean. Plus, you can cool off in the water after your run!

Tip #2: Races!

Running without a specific goal in mind, like completing a 5K, 10k, or even a marathon is very normal, but for many people having a goal is important! I’ve listed a few fun, upcoming races. 

It’s important to note that many races like these are annual, so if you’re just beginning your running journey now and aren’t ready for these races, you can always put them on your calendar for next year.

1.) November 5th, 2023: Santa Barbara Half-Marathon and 5K

2.) November 23rd, 2023: Thanksgiving Day 4 Mile Run GP and JGP

3.) December 16th, 2023: Santa Claus Run Santa Barbara

Extra Secret Tip: the website linked for the Thanksgiving Day Run (the Santa Barbara Running Association’s website) is also a great place to find other races nearby.  

Tip #3: Gear

“Look good, run good” is my life motto. While that statement might not be grammatically correct, it’s 100% true. Nothing provides more motivation to run than having a cute fit and some comfy, quality shoes. 

Many people overlook the quality of their running shoes and buy what they see people wearing on their Instagram or their TikTok For You Page (guilty), but the people at Santa Barbara Running Company are experts in finding the right shoes for you. 

When it comes to your fit, there are plenty of cute stores in the Santa Barbara area. Some of my favorite places to shop are Lululemon, Alo, and Free People. Now, you can’t go wrong with anything from these places, but I still have some top-tier recommendations:

1.) Hotty Hot Low-Rise Lined Short 2.5”

These shorts are universally flattering and do not scoot around while you run, which tends to happen with many running shorts. They also come in a bunch of cute colors, and you can buy matching tops as well if you’re feeling it.

2.) Good Karma Long Tank

I feel like Free People activewear is severely underrated, especially this tank top! The material is stretchy and breathable, so you don’t even feel like you’re wearing anything, much less like you’re sweating.

3.) Airlift Advantage Racerback Bra

Alo truly makes some of the best quality active wear in the game, and this bra is no exception. The only way to describe the material is buttery soft…like, actually!

I hope these tips act as a starting point for anyone looking to get into running here at UCSB! But more than that, I hope those of you that do try running are able to get the same stress-relieving results I have come to look forward to. See you out there!

Ally Jobe

UCSB '27

Ally is a first year Sociology major at UC Santa Barbara, where she finds particular joy in running, reading poetry, and admiring the sunset. She is elated to be a part of such an amazing group of writers, and she hopes, above all, that her work brightens your day.