5 Reasons Why Transferring Worked for Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

1. High school grades and SAT scores become irrelevant

Personally, I didn’t try at all in high school. I was so involved in extra curricular activities and college was pretty far from my mind. My high school grades were abysmal and I didn’t even bother to study for the SAT. When transferring these grades are not taken into account.  

2. The application process is simpler and less competitive

For most university transfer applications, letters of recommendations are not required, and you do not have to submit any test scores. You only have to submit a personal statement and college transcripts. Also you are competing with fewer applicants and have a better chance at getting into the university you want.

3. The money saved  

I saved (some) money while attending community college and living with my parents. Also my student loans won’t be as high when I graduate because I am only paying for 2 years at university rather than four, cutting the cost in half.

4. The extra time

Going to high school for four years then jumping right into another four years of even more intense academic work can be draining. Now I am graduating in June and I don’t feel completely burned out from school. Not that community college is a walk in the park but it certainly gives you more free time. Before transferring I was able travel a lot, work various jobs, gain more experience and have time to actually decide what I wanted to major in and what I wanted to do career wise.

5. The value you place on your education and time at university

This is the most important one for me; I appreciate being at university so much more than I would have had I come straight from high school. I didn’t just come to university because it’s the thing to do after high school or because I didn’t know what else to do, I really want to be here and because of that I am so much more engaged and put so much effort into my coursework. I consciously try to make the most out of my time here because I really really want to be here and do well.

Transferring may not be for everyone though, there are definitely some things to be aware of when considering taking the transfer route:

1. It could be easy to get distracted and get stuck in the community college system and become a townie in your 5th year of community college. Don’t get me wrong, it’s ok if it takes you more than two years at community college! You should definitely take that time to venture out and try new things, just be sure to always keep the end goal (transferring) in your mind.  

2. Once you do arrive at university you have to be really proactive. Do research about the University and find out what sports, clubs, extra circular activities and academic programs you want to be in before you arrive. I missed out on a few clubs and academic programs because I didn’t find out about them until after a quarter or two of being at university and by then it was too late to apply.

3. The time goes by SO fast! Two years seems like a good amount of time, but when you’re busy and active in school, it goes by so fast. I can’t believe my two years is almost over already!

All that being said, I’m so happy with how transferring to a 4-year university has worked out for me—I would recommend transferring to almost anyone. It’s honestly the best decision I’ve ever made!

Tasha is a fourth year English major at UC Santa Barbara. She is a Palm Springs native who prefers the cloudy sweater weather days of Santa Barbara, over the near 365 days of sunsine in Palm Springs. She rides horses and enjoys outdoor activites when her nose is not shoved into a book or in front of a computer screen. 
Kirby is a recent graduate from UCSB currently living in Los Angeles. As a proud Her Campus UCSB alum, she's happy to be back on the HC team covering one of her fave shows: "The Mindy Project." On any given day you can find her with her nose in a book (let's be real - it's a Kindle). In her free time, she likes petting dogs, binge-watching TV, and eating a lot of food. Find her on Instagram: @kirbynicoleb or @GirlBossEats.