sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 New Year’s Resolutions that Don’t Suck

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

2015 has come and gone. New year, new me… right? NO. Whoever you were last year, I guarantee you did some pretty killer stuff. There’s no reason that just because the date changes we have to as well. However, 2016 offers us the opportunity to make room for some cool additions to our schedules. Here are 5 truly attainable “New Year’s Resolutions” that you will love.

1. Watch the sunset or swim in the ocean once a week.

We live in paradise, but too often we find ourselves not taking advantage of it. Our time in college won’t last forever and there’s no way to know if we will ever live this close to the beach again. So grab your roomie or go by yourself and take some time each week to revel in nature’s beauty.

2. Call your grandparents, aunt, high school best friend, etc. once a month. 

Too often we use distance as an excuse to not invest ourselves in relationships that mean a lot to us. It is totally possible to set aside 15-30 minutes a month to update our relatives and old friends on how we are doing and to ask how they are doing.

3. Eat more guacamole.

This has been my own personal goal since 2016 began and let me tell you, it is going fantastic. Let’s even ignore how great avocado is for your hair and skin (healthy fats blah blah blah). Guac is so easy to make and there are countless ways to enhance your recipe by just adding or substituting one or two ingredients. Not only will you get to consume an unprecedented amount of guacamole this year, but also you can share it with friends. Maybe they’ll provide the chips?

4. Learn how to make an easy drink. 

Shaking up a sweet cocktail is a lot easier than you would think. Pretty often, you can find a delicious recipe that only need like 4 ingredients. My current favorite is this blood orange margarita:

http://withsaltandwit.com/blood-orange-margarita/

5. Read the news at least once a week.

As young adults, college students, women, human beings, etc. there’s no excuse to not know what’s going on in the world. Ignorance is not cute and it is not hard to scroll headlines once a week. I recommend reading from Al Jazeera, BBC, The New York Times and NPR. Being informed is a life skill. It can be helpful when applying to jobs, in your classes, and it equips you to form your own opinions about issues.

The New Year is an exciting time. Who knows how these next 12 months are going to play out and who cares? Life’s a journey and we’re just playing in the sand… especially if you follow through on number 1 (see above). Happy New Year!! 

Hey I'm Sydney. 4th year Global Studies Major with a Minor in French. I love human rights, playing lacrosse and eating burritos.
Kirby is a recent graduate from UCSB currently living in Los Angeles. As a proud Her Campus UCSB alum, she's happy to be back on the HC team covering one of her fave shows: "The Mindy Project." On any given day you can find her with her nose in a book (let's be real - it's a Kindle). In her free time, she likes petting dogs, binge-watching TV, and eating a lot of food. Find her on Instagram: @kirbynicoleb or @GirlBossEats.