16 Questions The Class of 2016 Is Tired of Hearing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

For most of us, this is the start of grad season, filled with commencements, senior photos, and graduation announcements; a time when a person must face the real world head on, with only a degree in hand to protect him or herself. Sure, graduation is great, but as a fourth year who will be graduating in exactly one month (plz help) I am absolutely terrified for the day that I am given my diploma and basically forced out of the place I have called home for four years. And as I get closer to my graduation (Sunday, June 12th at 1 pm), I am bombarded over and over again with post-grad questions. Also, from my experience, if you are asked one of these questions, you are most likely asked at least ten more of these in the subsequent minutes.

So, here are 16 questions the Class of 2016 has been asked and is probably really tired of hearing. 

1. What are your plans after graduation?

Nothing fills me with fear and anxiety more than this question. I mean, do you expect me to tell you my life plan? Because I don’t even know what I am going to eat for breakfast tomorrow morning let alone what I am planning on doing for the next 40 years. 

2. (X) number of days until you graduate! Are you excited/nervous/ scared?

Please don’t give me a countdown of when I graduate. I very well know how many days/hours until I have to start thinking about taxes and 401k’s (what is that even?) And to answer your question, I am currently on the verge of pooping my pants from excitement and nervousness. Yup, I went there. 

3. What’s going to happen with you and your SO?

We are going to work things out like any other couple. If we move to different cities, countries, even continents, I am pretty sure we will work something out. Our relationship isn’t a doomed relationship just because we may be moving away from each other.

4. Are you going to miss your friends?

Of course! I have spent literally every waking minute with them. From late night food runs to toga parties to movie nights in pajamas, these are the people I have spent four years getting to know. And as the saying goes, the friends you make in college will be the friends you have for life. 

5. Do you plan on moving in with your parents?

I am not planning to (sorry, mom), but I know plenty of people who are, and that is perfectly understandable. Living rent free and with mom’s cooking until you find  the perfect job sounds pretty good!

6. Have you found a job yet?

This is probably the worst question I get asked. Because if you can’t tell, I don’t have a job lined up. Courtesy dictates that if I haven’t talked to you about landing a job, I most likely haven’t, so please don’t ask, unless you want to see me nervously sweat when I talk about the job interviews I have lined up. 

7. Did you know most people don’t hire recent grads?

Yes, yes, I do. Hence, why I am freaking out. But my question to you is why would you ask that? Do you want me to breakdown and cry tonight?

8. Are you going to grad school?

Please spare your judgmental looks when I tell you I am an English major with no desire for a Master’s. I’m just so done with school right now that I can’t even imagine going to grad school.

9. Are you taking a year off?

I wish! But, if you would like to fund my year off and a backpacking trip across the world, I wouldn’t mind. Because, honestly, I am not ready to be an adult.

10. How’s the job hunt?

It’s either good or bad, and if I haven’t mentioned the job hunt to you, that most likely means it’s going pretty bad.

11. When do you have to start paying off your school loans?

You would be surprised how many times I am asked that question along with the following question of how much I am in debt. The only time I will ever be willing to answer this question is if I know you are willing to pay off my student loans. Oprah where you at? 

12. What can you do with a (insert major) degree?

Many jobs offer all kinds of opportunities, even ones you didn’t think of! Refrain from judging our decision to spend four years studying something we enjoy and want to spend the rest of our life doing.

13. Are you going to miss college?

Absolutely, positively, YES! Where else can I wear yoga pants and hoodies for weeks without being judged? And besides, there is something so, so special about being in college. These have honestly been the best four years of my life (I don’t care if that sounds cliché), and I wouldn’t trade them for the world. 

14.  How often do you think you’ll see your friends?

Sadly, probably not as much as I need to see them. Everyone goes on their own path after college, which means less and less time to spend with them, but I mean we are only one Facebook group message away from each other. 

15. Are you ready for the real world?

As someone who only knows how to make mac n’ cheese and PB&J sandwiches, yes, I will have a very hard time in the real world. But I mean I gotta learn to adult someday. Might as well be in one month. 

16. Now what?

So, you are done with college…now what?Please, excuse me while my head explodes.

My name is Lisa Raub, and I am fourth year here at the University of California Santa Barbara. I am an English Major with a minor in Professional Writing. I studied abroad in Paris and London, traveling everywhere from Belgium to Spain to Italy, basically leaving Europe completely broke but extremely happy. I can often be found with a dog-eared book or an almost illegible journal beside me. When I am not reading or writing, I am usually watching A LOT of Netflix or soaking up the sun. Follow my insta: @lisawantspizza
Kirby is a recent graduate from UCSB currently living in Los Angeles. As a proud Her Campus UCSB alum, she's happy to be back on the HC team covering one of her fave shows: "The Mindy Project." On any given day you can find her with her nose in a book (let's be real - it's a Kindle). In her free time, she likes petting dogs, binge-watching TV, and eating a lot of food. Find her on Instagram: @kirbynicoleb or @GirlBossEats.