10 Halloween Treats that Won’t Rip Your Seams

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Halloween is right around the corner, which means its finally time to air out that cute costume you’ve been waiting to rock all year. However it also means that tempting packages of chocolates, gummies and sour sweets are everywhere, which can spark cravings or lead to a binge diet of candies. But have no fear ladies, if you have a sweet tooth but want to look your best on IV’s most infamous night then here is a list of go to treats that won’t rip your costume or break the bank.

1.     Frozen “Boo”-nana Pops

These festive treats will have you smiling from ear to ear, as they are only 98 calories for one! Just a quarter of a banana covered in white chocolate! If you’re not a fan of white chocolate substitute for dark chocolate and sprinkle it with finely chopped peanuts.

Find the recipe here!

2.     Almond Butter Cups

“Reese’s” Cups are easily my favorite Halloween candy; unfortunately they are not my body’s favorite. So to reach a nice compromise here are great tasting Peanut butter cups that require nothing but some boiling water, dark chocolate, almond butter and a muffin pan.

Find the recipe here!

3.     Cookie Dough Balls

They’re vegan. They’re only 23 calories. You can make them fat free and yes they’re cookie dough. Two of these and you’ve got a great dessert and that cat woman costume still fits like a glove.

Find the recipe here!

4.     Candy Corn Fruit Cocktail

What is Halloween without Candy Corn? Here is a twist on a classic, layer some pineapple and mandarin orange slices, then top it off with some whip cream. Yum!

Find the recipe here!

5.     Popcorn Balls (Skinny Version)

Popcorn Balls are found at every pumpkin patch and carnival, so why should you miss out on the fun? Enjoy these instead, knowing that you are only consuming 89 calories for every delicious ball.

Find the recipe here!

F  For those who don’t want to cook or bake but still want those Halloween treats here are 5 healthier store bought options just for you.

1.     York Peppermint Patty

A full size is 163 calories, but the minis are 50 calories apiece. If you’re going to have chocolate go for this and have minty fresh breath too!

2.     Peanut M&M’s (Go Funsize!)

There are only 90 calories in the small pack and they’ll give you a spark of energy and a bit of protein. Peanuts have never been a bad idea.

3.     Jolly Ranchers

Not in the mood for chocolate but still looking for something sweet? One Jolly Rancher is about 23 calories and all you really need is one to suck on throughout the day. Give the others out to your friends!

4.     Sour Skittles (Go Funsize!)

Its not Sour Patch Kids, but a funsize pack is about 60 calories and it will cure your sour gummy craving.

5.     Kit Kat (Go Funsize!)

A bit of crunch and even more chocolate! Since it’s only 52 calories for one, you can enjoy your Halloween without the guilt!

Rachel is a senior at UC Santa Barbara and studies Communication and Global Peace and Security. Rachel is from a small, beautiful town in southern California called Palos Verdes. However, Palos Verdes is just one of the many places Rachel has lived. Rachel spent her childhood moving and traveling all over the world, living in places such as Indianapolis, Indiana; Santiago, Chile; Vienna, Austria; and Orlando, Florida. Rachel has found her heart and her home in California, choosing to spend her college years in sunny Santa Barbara. However, Rachel continued her wanderlust when she studied abroad in Barcelona, Spain in Fall 2012. At UCSB, Rachel is an immensely dedicated and involved member of her sorority Kappa Kappa Gamma, where she held the positions of Panhellenic Delegate, Inter-Greek Counselor, Rho Gam, and a member of the Nominating Slate. Best Buddies, a nonprofit organization dedicated to creating opportunities for one-to-one friendships, integrated employment, and leadership development for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities, is a passion of Rachel's, as she is their Social Media Coordinator as well as an active and proud member. As a member of the Lambda Pi Eta Communication Honors Society, Rachel is able to implement her prowess and affinity for communication and communication-related issues. When Rachel is not writing, participating in Kappa events, or volunteering, you can find her in the gym, on the soccer field, watching Modern Family, or cooking. Rachel's love for sports, food, and writing often times go hand-in-hand, as one may see in her weekly blogs. For the past two summers, Rachel has been freelance writing for the Los Angeles Times, and hopes to continue her career pursuit of journalism after she graduates. Rachel is elated to be a part of Her Campus's fabulous team and loves every moment of it!