What I Learned During My First Quarter at UCLA

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

I didn’t think that much would change in college. I expected that my life would be pretty similar to when I was in high school: eat, sleep, study and spend time with friends. Boy, was I in for a ride…

I learned so much after my first quarter at UCLA. For one, I learned to be independent. I thought I was pretty self-sufficient before coming to college. I did my own laundry, cleaned my own room, drove to school, ran errands and even cooked my own meals. How much more self-sufficient can you get? Let’s just say, it was a lot. My schedule no longer revolved around those around me. I had complete control over everything I did: what classes I take, what time I wake up, when I eat dinner, where I study or how often I work out. With a whole new set of responsibilities, I really had to improve on my time management. Having to balance school work, clubs and a social life, while still maintaining a healthy lifestyle, was difficult at first. However, as I struggled, I found ways to balance.

The main solution I found, especially with managing my school work, was creating a schedule and making sure to stick to it. I would map out every week, writing down in my planner what time I had class, what times I needed to study, where I was going to study and how much I would get done each day. By setting a schedule, I created mini goals for myself every day, which always encouraged me to meet them.

Another key thing I learned was how to stay on track with my work. The secret is getting ahead. In high school, I always procrastinated and would often finish my work the night before it was due. But in college, the assignments are bigger and more heavily-weighted. Therefore, it was crucial that I paced the work out. I made sure to start big writing assignments at least a week in advance. Starting my work early gave me plenty of time to write a strong, comprehensive essay. This leads me to my next point.

At UCLA, there are so many resources for getting help with your assignments. At first, I was a little intimidated reaching out for help. However, I soon realized that getting feedback and asking questions is essential to obtaining success. With almost every assignment, I made sure to make appointments with my professors, my TAs and the writing center. Every time I met with them, I would make sure to come with a set of questions. As these appointments are typically short because of the high volume of students that need help, it is very important to be prepared, as it makes for a much more efficient meeting.

College is not just about academics! It’s about the whole experience. This is something I didn’t fully understand until the end of the quarter. One of the biggest struggles I had was balancing academics with the rest of my life—the fun parts! I would always prioritize school over everything else. Towards the end of the quarter, however, I managed to find a happy medium. For most of my meals, I made sure to eat them with other people. Spending a couple of hours bonding with friends over food is a great way to get close to each other. Also, I made Friday nights a no-homework night. I would use that time to explore different parts of LA with friends. By carving out a consistent time to take breaks and relax, it makes a busy work schedule much more bearable.

Another thing I struggled with in college was managing my health. I stopped exercising regularly and eating healthy. In terms of eating, I found it very difficult to manage how I eat in the dining halls. With unlimited food at with the #1-ranked dining halls in the country, it was hard to resist everything delicious. However, I found that the best solution was to look at the menus and plan meals ahead of time. I would look at what the dining halls were serving the night before and make sure to look at the nutrition facts. Then I would write down what I was going to get in the halls. By preparing beforehand, I was able to have more self-control. In regards to exercise, I had to find a way to encourage myself to go to the gym. One of the best decisions I made this quarter was signing up the Group X Fitness pass. For $35 a quarter, I had unlimited access to all the fitness classes offered at the John Wooden Gym. Because I had spent money on this pass, I had an incentive to go. I also made sure to sign up with a friend so that I was able to have someone to hold myself accountable to. Struggling through a workout with someone else always makes the experience more enjoyable than struggling alone.

Overall, this quarter was a huge learning experience. I learned to be self-sufficient, manage my time and maintain a healthy, balanced lifestyle. Even though I am still adjusting, it amazes me how much I have grown within a short 10 weeks.  Yes, the first quarter was hard. But it was also one of the most life-changing time periods in my life. I can’t wait to see what’s in store for me for the rest of this year.

Madeline is the Assistant Director of Event Marketing for UCLA's Chapter of Her Campus. She is a third-year student majoring in Communication Studies. In her free time, she enjoys watching Rom Coms, cooking, and looking at pictures of cute pugs.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.