UCLA hill sunset sky
UCLA hill sunset sky
Ashley Ha
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

We Asked UCLA Students On Campus Deep Questions About Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

In light of the season of love, we went around campus and asked students some deep questions about love. The full video can be found on Her Campus UCLA’s YouTube!

Have you ever been in love? If so, how many times?

Macy: Been in real love once, but I have probably thought I was in love with somebody maybe like three or four times.

Anvi: I’d say no, not yet.

Seiji: Traditional sense of love, yeah, probably only one time. Being in love vs. loving someone is kind of different.

Jackie: I think I’ve truly been in love probably only once.

Kiron: See, that’s what I’m not too sure about. I feel like I’ve been close and I have lots of love for lots of people, but I haven’t really entered that soul connection and being with someone you see (yourself) being with forever.

Datona: I’d say yes, once.

Carson: Yeah, I’d say one time too.

Do you believe love changes you? If so, why?

Macy: I think that it’s up to you … if you want love to change you. It makes you a bit softer at times and more vulnerable. 

Datona: Yeah, I think you learn from it.

Carson: Yeah, you definitely learn from your mistakes from the first time you love someone.

Do you believe in soulmates?

Jackie: No. I believe in compatibility, but I’m very much science-based and there’s so many things that go into the personality. It’s not necessarily if they’re meant for you it’s going to work out. It’s if you guys work together and if their personalities are compatible. Because if someone says they are soulmates with someone and then their personalities aren’t compatible it’s not going to work out. So it’s really about compatibility, personality and lifestyle and all that just added together.

Seiji: Yeah, I think so. I feel like that there isn’t just one person for you, but I think you can have a soulmate where you have a different type of connection than you would with somebody else.

What makes you fall in love with someone? What would make you fall out of love with someone?

Saeji: If they’re just hella vulnerable and you have that closeness that you don’t have with anybody else. I guess that’s how you fall in love- is opening yourself to somebody. Falling out of love can be a lot of different things but I think it’s when you kind of start to grow apart and realize you have different interests.

Anvi: Someone for me who is really motivated in what they are doing and has a drive and knows what they love. Falling out of love… someone is who super selfish and totally into themselves. It becomes all about them or they don’t care about me anymore.

Datona: Just vibing really. Like if she’s cool.

Carson: Falling out of love… cheating.

If you could tell yourself one thing in your greatest heartbreak, what would you say?

Anvi: That it’s super rough. It’s so much time you need to process. I feel like you can try and force yourself to deny the heartbreak or make yourself feel better but it’s just so much time that you need for healing. But then after that, you’re so much stronger and you find yourself again. It just gets better afterward.

Kiron: It’s not going to be the last.

What’s something that scares you about love?

Macy: Being vulnerable. You know people get married in their early to late twenties and in the stage of life you are either dating to get married or you’re dating to get your heartbroken and it’s something that you have to be ready for.

Carson: Getting my heart broken. Like getting too attached.

Datona: Heartbroken. Yeah, probably the general answer.

Love is a very dynamic emotion. With love, you can go through the highs and lows of life. Single or taken, let’s celebrate the love around us in each of our lives.

Rebecca (also goes by Bec and Becca) is an English major at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), and an Assistant Editorial Director and writer for HC at UCLA. In her free time, she loves a strong oat milk latte at a local LA coffee shop, catching the sunset at the beach and hunting for the perfect breakfast burrito.