U.N. Initiates “World Toilet Day” To Highlight Global Sanitation Crisis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

The United Nations designated November 19 as “World Toilet Day,” to draw attention to the nearly 2.5 billion people around the world who do not have access to satisfactory sanitation. Not only do these individuals lack access to toilets and are forced to relieve themselves completely out in the open, but they are also subject to severe health issues, including disease and malnutrition.

A latrine in a poor area of Ciudad Juarez, Mexico.  (Courtesy of Reuters) 

The goal of the 2015 “World Toilet Day” Campaign is to have as many people as possible participate in making a difference by raising awareness about this detrimental issue that affects so many individuals globally.

On social media, an important trending hashtag around the issue is #wecantwait, emphasizing the fact that we must immediately mobilize to make a difference to stop people from dying due to sanitation related illnesses.

Here are some small but meaningful things you can do to contribute to the change:

1. Social Media: Social Media is an amazing outlet to utilize in order to raise your voice about an important issue. By simply posting a hashtag like #Igiveashit #wecantwait, or simply #sanitation, you can help advocate for change by making more people aware of the issue at hand.

2. Small Donation: It is completely understandable that we are college students, and budgeting is essential. But anything counts in this call to action. If everyone that cares about this issue even gave a few dollars, that would be a huge step towards gaining access to proper sanitation for many people in desperate need.

3. Learn the Facts: The sad reality is – more people have access to cellphones than to toilets on this planet. And 1,000 children die daily due to bad sanitation.

To learn more facts about the sanitation crisis and other ways to make a difference, visit http://worldtoilet.org/what-we-do/world-toilet-day/.

Sarah Ahern is a sophomore at UC Irvine studying literary journalism. Aside from writing for HerCampus, she interns for the self-help website DreamitAlive.com. In her free time, she enjoys writing, playing tennis, and baking.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.