Life > Experiences

5 L.A. Events To Attend In Celebration Of Black History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

February is Black History Month. It runs for an entire month, and it’s a time when Black communities can come together and celebrate all their hard work. The path wasn’t easy, and it’s still is a work in progress, but they are always working toward a better future. 

Here are five events that you can attend to celebrate Black History Month this year:

The Black History Musical Experience 

Head down to Alex Theatre in Glendale where you can enjoy an educational and fun musical about Black history. Their goal is to tell stories that aren’t told at school, to take you back in time and to help you understand their history better. This musical was written by the Billboard charting artist, Griot B. It will take place on February 9, 2023, at 7 PM. Ticket prices vary so be sure to check out their website. 

41st Annual Pasadena: Black History Parade & Festival 

Looking to enjoy live bands, dance performances and much more? Then this is the perfect event for you to attend. This is one of Southern California’s largest and longest-running Black History parades. The parade will run from 10 AM to 12 PM and begin at North Fair Oaks Avenue and Mountain View Street. After the parade is done, the festival will run from 12 PM to 4 PM at Robinson Park. Both events will take place on February 18, 2023.

Selma 2014 movie directed by Ava DuVernay
Pathé
2023 Los Angeles Black History Month Festival

This year’s festival will focus on “Health & Wellness” as well as “Literature.” There will be guest speakers, as well as other activities for everyone to enjoy and learn from. Open Arms Food Pantry and Resource Center has been doing this festival for a while, making this their sixth year. The event begins at 11 AM and admission is free! It will take place on February 19, 2023, at the Michelle and Barack Obama Sports Complex.

Black History: Luncheon & Art Exhibit 

Enjoy a variety of artwork at the Monrovia Community Center taking place on February 26, 2023. There will be lots of guest speakers such as Allen Edson (President of NAACP Pasadena Branch), Ron Husband, John Parker and Giselle Soliz. This event will run from 2 PM to 4 PM and will be honoring Mrs. Elouise Tye, former Monrovia High School Teacher, for her impact on students and the district. 

Beats + Breathwork, Vol.10: Celebrating Black History Month 

This event is all about meditating and honoring ancestors and loved ones. It allows people to alleviate any physical pain, stress or anxiety they might be feeling. It also gives them a chance to connect deeper with their physical and spiritual bodies. On their website, they make it clear that this is “a safe, healing experience for People of Color (Black, Hispanic, Asian, Indigenous).” To take part in this class, all you need is a yoga mat and eye mask and to keep an open mind. This event will be on February 25, 2023, from 12:30 PM to 2:30 PM. It will take place at Studio H. Conditioning, 3732 Pacific Coast Highway Long Beach. 

Black History Month is important, and we should all remember to take time to understand the Black community’s history and hard work. Reminder to always be respectful and have fun!

Maria Alfaro is a fourth year student at UCLA majoring in Sociology and minoring in Spanish. She joined HerCampus at UCLA in 2021 and ever since has been able to do what she enjoys; write and share her stories with everyone. Her love for journalism grows with each story she gets to write. She loves to meet new people and learn new things. In her free time you can find her exploring the city of LA, dancing, binge-watching, blogging or relaxing.