‘Tis The Season: Enrollment Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

The weather on campus is uncharacteristically nice. But everywhere you look, why are people all hunched over their laptops at 8 AM with laser-sharp focus? Two words: enrollment appointments. ‘Tis the season for the much anticipated (or for some with bad times, dreaded) class enrollment season. Whether you are a freshman or a senior, the stress, strategy and focus of enrollment season is surely an aspect of your college life you’d rather do without. As someone whose been through it for years now, here’s some smart advice for how to get through the period without being at your wits’ end:

Take Advantage of the data

Ever heard of “The Class Planning Holy Grail” from the Daily Bruin? This is a public post regularly updated by the Daily Bruin that compares the frequency and times at which some of the most popular classes at UCLA fill up and allows you to predict your chances through its interactive search function. Many people know and use BruinWalk to find the best classes to take, but this resource is especially helpful if you have classes that are historically harder to get. It’s also one of the biggest redeeming moments that statistics has played in my life (and I’m an Econ major). Go check it out!

counselors, hidden spots and multiple class listings Oh my!

Though many department counselors have earned a bad rap over time, talking to my minor’s counselors when I couldn’t get the class I wanted actually opened up so many possibilities. There are often classes with multiple listings through multiple departments, so be sure to always check for hidden spots! Counselors are also a great way to find out about “hidden” waiting lists and some even tell you when the department will open up more spots for very popular classes.

Wield your network

You know how they say to try to make at least one friend for every class you take? Well, this is where it comes in handy! Reaching out to peers who are interested in the same type of class as you is a great way to bolster your spirit during a stressful time, but also look forward to taking classes with friends. If none of your friends are signing up for the same classes, it’s still worthwhile to do a quick check-in. You never know who’ll become part of your cheerleading squad during this stressful time.

Enrolling in classes has always been one of the most stressful parts of my UCLA career, yet with the help of friends and strategies I’ve developed over the years, it’s become less of a dread. I wish you guys the best of luck in getting the class you want, and if not fear not. The beauty of being at a huge university is sometimes being surprised at what you find in the classes you’re in!

Somashree is a 3rd year Economics major minoring in Environmental Systems and Society and Digital Humanities. She's a huge cinephile with a special affinity for historical dramas (eg. The Crown or Bridgerton). She also loves learning languages and hopes to learn at least 4 languages by the end of the decade.