The Perfect Throwback Adventure Movies To Kick-Start Your Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

You don’t have to go to the beach to enjoy summer—you can have an adventure from your living room couch if you choose the right movies to watch! Romance or horror may be fun, but adventure movies are the best seasonal option to hype up your annual break. Here are some of the most exciting classic movies that you can watch this month:

Jurassic world

The Jurassic Park/World series are summer adventure movies that you cannot miss! The thrilling chase of dinosaurs and humans will give you chills and help you cool down in the hot summer heat. The new movie Jurassic World: Dominion is out in the theaters too if you don’t mind an old-fashioned trip to the movies!

mamma mia!

Yes, the classic summer movie! With the nostalgic ABBA track and addicting plot, this movie is the ideal crossover between romance and adventure. It’s also the perfect excuse to live your own musical by putting on an ABBA karaoke show!

jaws

Even if you watched this classic before, you have to admit that it still sends chills up your spine every time you see Bruce’s fin peeking out of the water. This one is also fun to watch with little siblings, so I suggest you watch this for a family movie night.

jumanji

The Jumanji series is also THE adventure series to watch this summer! Filled with many punch lines and a rich cast of celebrities, this movie will immediately put you in a happy mood and ready to go on an adventure yourself.

mad max: fury road

This film has some of the best editing techniques out of all the action movies I have watched. Although it seems simple, the movie includes deep themes such as climate change and the meaning of life and death. The movie’s style will definitely immerse you in an adventure!

stand by me

Fair warning: this one might make you cry. It’s the classic coming-of-age film, where four boys go on an adventure that teaches them lessons about themselves. It’s heart-warming, and I highly recommend watching it with your closest friends!

in the heights

This movie will send you from your couch onto the hot streets of Washington Heights. The sweat of the hardworking community, the hot romance between couples and el sueño of Usnavi will immediately get you dancing and dreaming.

These were my top-tier choices for the classic adventure movies to get you in the mood for summer. Remember that you can enjoy your summer from anywhere, so go ahead and sit on the couch to start your summer adventure!

Rio is a third-year UCLA business economics student from Japan. In her free time, you can find her hiking, dancing away at concerts, or cafe-hopping!