Wellness

6 Mini Glow-Up Tips To Have You Shining This Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

As the frost of winter quarter fades away and spring quarter rapidly approaches, it’s time to ready yourself for the best part of the school year (at least, in my opinion). Spring is a time for renewal (as well as multiple dirty benders), so why not take some steps to make sure you are feeling the best you that you can be? The end of winter quarter is also the perfect opportunity for students to embark on journeys of self-care and transformation, focusing on recovering from the stress and deadlines that accompany this time. In this article, we’ll explore six mini glow-up tips to help you continue to shine brightly this spring, empowering you to feel confident and radiant as you step into the sun-drenched days ahead.

STAY HYDRATED (NO, SPICY MARGS DON’T COUNT)

With such a busy end to this quarter, it’s easy to forget one of the most important things that your body needs… water! While I definitely don’t recommend over-filling your belly with water just to get it out of the way, try to hydrate evenly throughout the day. I know that I probably sound like a broken record, but drinking too much or too little water can be pretty damaging to your health. As someone who forgets all the time and suffers chronic headaches, just a quick fix of making your water bottle a priority can improve your day immensely.

MOVE YOUR BODY

Yes, I know, having a busy schedule can sometimes make it impossible to get into the gym. But who said that you need a gym to get yourself moving? Just the smallest schedule change, like adding a mini-walk in between classes or a couple push-ups right when you wake up (shoutout cozy cardio) can change the whole direction of your day.

TENDER LOVE AND (HAIR) CARE

As someone who also recently decided to try implementing a better hair care routine, the results have been amazing. Coming from me, a girl who fries her thin hair off with bleach and sometimes even falls asleep with wet hair (a cardinal sin, I know), this small change in my routine has saved my hair from completely breaking off. While I did invest in some good shampoo and conditioner (praise Olaplex), I also started using hair oil, which has generally improved the health of my locks and prevented the creation of more split ends. So, try it! Start the spring quarter with shining tresses.

WHEN IN DOUBT, BE LIKE DAKOTA JOHNSON

No, I don’t mean that you should audition to be cast in the new Spiderman movie. I do mean that you should sleep as much as humanly possible, much like Dakota Johnson does. Despite the years of being called lazy and boring for listing sleep as one of my favorite hobbies, it is one of the most important things that you can prioritize for your health. The second I start to feel sick, I sleep. The second I start to feel angry or upset, I sleep. The second I feel stressed, I sleep. I know this may seem crazy, but sleep works wonders when regulating your body and your immune system. Let yourself wake up on the right side of the bed going into spring quarter.

Fuel Your Body

Protein, protein, protein. Especially if you are moving your body for pretty vigorous amounts of time during the week. Even if you have dietary limitations, try as much as you can to make sure that you aren’t neglecting important nutrients that your body needs. Carbs, fiber, grains, you name it. I know it’s not the easiest to prioritize your diet as a college student, but even attempting to eat at decently healthy fast food places (like Chipotle, Sweetgreen, Tendergreens, etc.) can make a small difference in how you feel day-to-day.

CLeanse from social media

Look, I’m not asking you to delete your Snapchat or Instagram, but making a conscious effort to decrease your screen time can work wonders for your mental health. Oftentimes, I’ll find myself becoming jaded or anti-social when I interact too heavily with social media. So, try to take a break. I promise that you won’t miss out on anything important. Instead of waking up and looking directly at your phone, try getting five minutes of sunlight to start off your morning and keep you feeling sunny all day.

With these six mini glow-up tips in your arsenal, you’re ready to embrace the beauty and fun of spring quarter with confidence (which is the true secret to stay glowing). Remember, true beauty radiates from within, nourished by positivity and a deep appreciation for life. So, bask in the warmth of your amazingness and revel in the beauty of spring that will soon be upon us.

Autumn Morgan is a third-year Film & Television major at UCLA who grew up in the San Fernando Valley. She thoroughly enjoys being overdressed and reading women’s divorce fiction. In her free time, you can find her laying by a river eating fruit.