This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

We are all beautifully and wonderfully made. It truly breaks my heart when I hear some of my closest friends, family and even strangers make self-deprecating comments about themselves. Unfortunately, I even catch myself making these comments to myself from time to time. The way you speak to yourself truly matters and can build up over time even if you do not realize it. Implement these acts into your life as a way to better improve your self-love.

Creating Your Very Own Morning Routine

Establishing a set morning routine can look something like this: Wake up at 8 am. Make your bed. Enjoy your coffee and breakfast without your phone. Either journal, read or designate quiet time for yourself. Workout for at least 30 minutes. Shower. Pick out your clothes. Put makeup on (or not). Leave the door at 11:30am to make it in time for your 12pm class. Notice how these little accomplishments are conquered before even starting your day? It is empowering.

Creating a healthy routine for yourself is a form of self-respect in the time that you have been granted and the way you mentally and physically nourish your body. 

Similar to how an athlete needs to warm up properly before their exercise, so do we in order to prepare for our day ahead.

“Counter It!”

My friend and I keep each other accountable by playing this little “game.” Whenever either of us may make a self-deprecating comment, we yell out, “Counter it!” 

For example:

Me: “I am not looking good today.”

Her: “Counter it.”

Me: “But at least I have a great personality.”

I know it sounds a tad ridiculous, but comments do add up. Keep racking up those positive comments, ladies.

Journaling

Over the years, I realized how essential journaling is for my mental state. Sitting down and checking in with your thoughts is one of the most powerful self-love activities you can do. Really look at what you’re jotting down.

Another thing I love to do is to write down any compliments or inspiring quotes anyone has said to me. It is one thing to compliment yourself, and another to remember that there are other people thinking the same about you. Also, it is nice to look back on and remind yourself of the value you have in other’s lives.

Do You

I love going to a cafe or the beach by myself and journaling. Yet, going on adventures with a small group of close friends never gets old. 

Having a strong, secure support system that you can go out and have deep talks with should be treasured closely. It is also important to take time for yourself and do things that you love to do. It is okay to be with others and it is also totally okay to be by yourself. A healthy balance between the two is important.

In order to love others, we need to fully love ourselves. Be sure to check-in and see how you are doing! There is only one you in this world, and we need you.

Rebecca (also goes by Bec and Becca) is an English major at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), and an Assistant Editorial Director and writer for HC at UCLA. In her free time, she loves a strong oat milk latte at a local LA coffee shop, catching the sunset at the beach and hunting for the perfect breakfast burrito.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.