Recipe: Frozen Banana Margarita

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Who needs a night out when you can be your own bartender and make a fruity drink all on your own? I decided to experiment a little and craft a recipe for a frozen banana margarita—because it was one of the only ripe fruits I had available. But my resourcefulness is your gain, because the final result was actually a delicious spiked smoothie that all 21-year-olds should try for themselves.

Ingredients:

• One ripe banana 
  • Ice cubes
  • One tablespoon sugar
  • Half a lemon, squeezed for juice
  • Frozen fruit (mango/strawberry)
  • 50ml tequila

I started by blending my banana with a few cubes of ice, a tablespoon of sugar and my lemon juice (about three tablespoons). I figured the sugar would help balance out the acidity of the lemon, especially since a banana isn’t a particularly sweet fruit. It would be more cohesive to use a sugar syrup, but like I said, college level cooking skills here. I used a room temperature banana, but for an extra cold drink (and more foresight on your part) you can use a frozen banana instead.

After that became a soft and smooth consistency, I added in one shot of Jose Cuervo tequila and a few pieces of frozen fruit for added flavor, though if you just want banana that’s fine, too. I threw in a few more pieces of ice to keep the drink cold and create that blended smoothie texture.

I blended that all together and poured it in a tall glass with a pink straw (because duh). For added cuteness and presentation value, you can add a lime wedge or a sugar rim. 

I really appreciated my makeshift margarita, because it was sweeter and less icy than a traditional limeade margarita. It was more like a spiked smoothie with a thick texture. The recipe really goes to show that you can make a delicious cocktail no matter what’s in your fridge and what fruit is on hand. Bottoms up!

Photos courtesy of Lindsay Weinberg and Pexels

Lindsay was the president/editor-in-chief of the UCLA chapter of Her Campus from 2015-2018. She was previously the Viral Section Editor at Her Campus and an Editorial Intern at the headquarters in Boston. Lindsay grew up in Washington state and transitioned to love the Southern California sunshine while studying communications and environmental science at UCLA. Twitter: @WeinbergLindsay.