Radiant New Alt-Pop Artist Kate Peytavin On Her Coming Of Age Journey Into The World Of Music

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

At only 18 years old, the charming Kate Peytavin has created a surging platform as she enters the Los Angeles music scene. The Louisiana-born artist combines her teen angst with a vintage twist on modern-day pop, formulating a unique yet relatable feel to her music. With her new single “Whole Heart Black” being released this month, Her Campus at UCLA had the amazing opportunity to speak with Kate about her artistic evolution, obstacles she overcame, and goals as she continues to grow. 

HC: How did you know that you wanted to pursue a career in music? 

KP: I honestly didn’t know that I wanted to do music for a really long time. I come from the least musical family; no one really played music around the house, and it just wasn’t a big thing. But when I got my first phone I started doing my own deep diving into musical styles I liked. Eventually, I was just making songs over Zoom with people in L.A., and then when I finally came out to L.A. where I was making music everyday, I fell in love with it. Actually, on my plane ride home I was crying because I didn’t know when I was going to do something like this again. In the airport, I realized that writing and singing and all of the artsy stuff around music was something that I was so passionate about. 

HC: Being only 18, what obstacles did you have to overcome when entering the music industry? 

KP: Something really hard at first for me was starting out without any songs or experience. It was kind of like, why would you want to work with someone who doesn’t have anything yet? Since I’m from New Orleans, it was hard to come out to L.A. where so many people would cancel on me because of my lack of musical expertise, and since I’m only here for such a short period of time, it would suck that I wasn’t getting as much done as I’d hoped to. I feel like that’s what my song “killing time” is about, because people didn’t take me seriously and just underestimated me. I was always put in a room with people who were way more experienced and older than me, which was NERVE WRACKING. But with more experience, working in L.A. is getting much better now. 

HC: How do you want to connect with your fans through making music, specifically with your new single “Whole Heart Black”?

KP: I make it a point to be dramatic, because whenever I’m going through anything hard, I want to live in the moment instead of suppressing my feelings. What helps me heal is taking in the moment instead of setting it aside, and I want to help normalize doing this. Honestly, a piece in the big puzzle of “Whole Heart Black” is about wanting something that you shouldn’t have, but desiring it anyway because it feels good at the moment. This is such a valid and universal experience that a lot of people suppress. I really just want my listeners to hear this song and know that it’s okay to feel and that you don’t need to set these emotions aside.  

HC: Where did the incorporation of a vintage vibe in your songs come from? 

KP: I’ve always been a lover of vintage things and gravitated toward artists who do the same, like Lana Del Rey. Between my Pinterest board and journals, I just have a vision and will do anything to make those come to life. I was writing for about a year before I released my song “ever fallen”, and it just felt right to have such a vibey, vintage feel. It honestly makes me so happy to have my music kind of match my influences like Lana and Suki Waterhouse (who I dream of touring with one day).

HC: As you continue to grow your fanbase so quickly, do you have any artistic goals that you want to achieve this year? 

KP: I would absolutely love to do a music video. Right now I only have visualizers, which are so creative and fun, but the entire process of directing and putting together my own little film is exciting to me. It’s just a great form of storytelling and adds a perspective to my lyrics. So, look out for that!

Kate Peytavin is definitely a name in the music industry that everyone should keep in mind as she continues to grow into a pop sensation. Her openness and vulnerability makes it so easy for anyone to relate to her lyrical masterpieces. Be sure to check out her new single, “Whole Heart Black”, streaming now! 

Hannah is a second-year Economics and Political Science major at UCLA, from Yuba City, California. She enjoys writing about a variety of topics from finance to up-and-coming trends! In her free time she loves baking, going to the beach, exploring the coffee shops of LA, and playing tennis.