Life > Experiences

Popular Opinion: The East Coast Has Nothing on California

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

I have been temporarily living on the East Coast this quarter, and while it has been an amazing experience, I think I’m built to live in California. Having been born in California and now attending college in the same place, I’d never left the state for more than a few days at a time until now. I knew that D.C. and the rest of the East Coast would be wildly different from what I was used to, but now that I have experienced it I can wholeheartedly say that California is the best state to live in. Here are a few of the reasons that the East Coast did not suit me: 

Weather

I have only been in Washington D.C. for the fall quarter, so I cannot even speak to the worst of the weather. In California, I spend my fall quarter in tank tops and other summer clothes; however, on the East Coast when fall hits, it really hits. This may just be a personal flaw, but I am cold at any given moment. Yes – California winters are brutal for me. Coming to the East Coast, I tried my best to prepare, because we’ve all heard and seen how horrendous the weather can get. However, not even my warmest winter coat could have prepared me for what I would face. When I tried explaining this weather to my mom, she would ask if it was raining or windy (which it often was), but mainly it was just cold. There was no reason or cause for this extreme frigid weather but for some reason every time I stepped out of any building I would need to bundle up as I had just landed in Antarctica.

Food

As a foodie, I was definitely let down a bit. I watched numerous TikToks and compiled the longest list of food I wanted to try before coming to Washington D.C. And I kept a positive spirit – the first few places I went I tried to gaslight myself into liking the food. But I have to admit that it really does lack flavor. I don’t know if it’s a personal thing, but I like my food with all the flavor in the world, and I can not say there were many places that added spice. However, I do not want to completely trash on the East Coast so I will admit that their variety of dessert is absolutely astonishing. While they may have lacked flavor, they had chocolate lava cakes and every other dessert you crave in the middle of the night. So, if you’re planning on visiting the East Coast, take a couple packets of pepper flakes with you!

pelicana fried chicken and fries
Original photo by lily oneal
Crowded

This one is targeted at New York and New York only. Being from LA, I’d say I’m pretty used to having little space, but in New York, I felt like there was not enough space to stretch my legs; in every corner there is someone or something. Now, when I booked a bus for New York, I thought I knew what I was getting myself into. I thought I understood the magnitude of people – but I was not close. After visiting New York, I understand those tiny apartment tours, because there is literally no space for more room. As a self-proclaimed former New York enthusiast I can say that lack of space (to the extent of New York) is something that I never want to deal with again. 

The East Coast has provided me with an amazing life experience, however I think it is safe to say I was not built to live here. Though I have thoroughly trashed D.C. in my head on numerous occasions, I would like to add that it definitely has a better public transportation system than any place in California. But I can genuinely say is that now that this side quest is over, I am ready to head back to sunny Los Angeles.

Kajal is a second year political science major at UCLA . In her free time she enjoys reading, writing, and occasionally crocheting.