10 Things I Hate About You Julia Stiles Heath Ledger
Touchstone Pictures

Pick Your Go-To Rom-Com, Get Your Valentine’s Day Horoscope

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

If you know me, then you know I love a good rom-com. With Valentine’s season in full swing, there’s no better time to check out a new cheesy romance flick or revisit an old favorite. But before you grab your popcorn, find out what your go-to rom-com says about your personality and your Valentine’s Day future!

1. When harry Met SalLy

If your go-to rom-com is When Harry Met Sally (or honestly any other Meg Ryan movie), then you’re an old soul. Some would say you’re high maintenance, but you just know what you like and stick with it. You would describe your sense of style as timeless over trendy, and you’re always rocking a cable knit sweater when the temperature dips below 60 degrees.

This Valentine’s Day, expect to spend some wholesome time with your significant other and/or old friends (because if you have a partner, they’re definitely your best friend anyways). And please, try not to take an hour and a half to order at your Galentine’s brunch.

2. 10 Things I hate ABout You

There’s about 10000 things to love about 10 Things I Hate About You, so this is a solid pick. Even if you’re not the older sibling, you give major big sister energy. You definitely deeply relate to Kat Stratford: you have chronic RBF, but you’re actually a sweetheart deep down.

Your enemies to lovers arc will FINALLY work out, just in time for Valentine’s Day. So switch up your usual location to argue/banter/flirt! Go on a fun paintball date or publicly serenade your special someone with “Can’t Take My Eyes Off You.” You’ll be totally whelmed!

3. Crazy Rich Asians

@hulu

If this isn’t on your wedding inspo mood board, wyd? #CrazyRichAsians #ConstanceWu #HenryGolding #Wedding #WeddingTok

♬ original sound – hulu

You have crazy good taste if your favorite rom-com is Crazy Rich Asians. You’re someone who enjoys the finer things in life, and you couldn’t put together a bad outfit if you tried. When you’re bored in class, you always find yourself planning trips around the world (and you definitely watched this movie for the first time on a plane).

If you aren’t already going on a Valentine’s or Galentine’s weekend trip, you’ll be taken to brand new places by all of the love you have in your life. But keep your suitcase packed — you may just be surprised with an unexpected getaway.

4. Someone Great

…are you okay?

This Valentine’s Day, you will NOT text your ex. OR leave them a voicemail. OR like their Instagram story. Just block them and focus on what matters most: your friends! Have a much-needed girls’ night and dance the night away with your best gal pals!

5. But I’m A Cheerleader

If But I’m a Cheerleader is your go-to rom-com, then you love to make your friends laugh almost as much as you love to laugh in general. Because SO many icons are in this movie (Natasha Lyonne AND RuPaul, hello), you’re also a massive pop culture person and can’t end a conversation without at least one tasteful celeb/movie/TV reference.

Your Valentine’s Day will be just as fun as you are — I’m seeing a spontaneous karaoke or comedy club outing with your significant other or besties. It will be a night to remember, filled with inside jokes that will keep you entertained for months to come.

6. Love, Rosie

If you love Love Rosie, then you’re a certified rom-com aficionado. Your favorite trope is friends to lovers, and you’re a complete sucker for a cute accent. You are also most likely dealing with a revival of your Hunger Games obsession from middle school.

Take a chance on love this Valentine’s Day! Tell that person you’ve been crushing on FOREVER how you feel. Chances are, the feeling is mutual. If it isn’t (sorry!), don’t worry – a pint of McConnell’s fixes everything.

7.Valentine’s Day (2010)

This isn’t actually your favorite rom-com; you’re just a MASSIVE Swiftie. You have hundreds of friendship bracelets from the Eras Tour, and you definitely have a mirrorball hanging up somewhere in your room.

You’ll probably be spending your Valentine’s Day wishing your love life was as exciting as a Taylor Swift music video — but don’t worry, you’ll be entering your Lover era sooner than you think.

Whatever your Valentine’s Day plans are, remember to make some time for the people and things you love most. If all else fails, you can always curl up on the couch with a special somebody/somebodies and watch your favorite rom-com. Happy Valentine’s Day!

Mallory is a second year English major from Los Angeles, California. She loves thrifting, traveling, and listening to Taylor Swift.